Graduates of administrative assistant training and executive assistant schools are always in demand because every business or industry you can think of needs personnel to help keep things track of events and records. Office administration is the process of overseeing the daily operations of an office. The task of the administrative assistant or office manager is manage these operations. Office professionals are the backbone of the success of the company. A good office professional is detail-oriented and able to multitask, so if this sounds like you, you can excel in being in charge of a variety of duties that keep an office running efficiently, and administrative assistant schools are designed to provide students with these skills. Students who wish to become an office assistants can either enter a one-year or two-year office assistant education program which are often offered by two-year colleges, vocational colleges, or technical colleges. Upon graduation they can decide to with get a full time position,or register with job placement agencies that can help them find employment opportunities.
Office Assistant Education and Training
Although high school graduates with basic office skills can obtain entry level positions, getting administrative assistant training, certification, diploma or degree will provide you with more advanced skills. Also, as a medical and legal secretary you would also go through specialized training programs.
In addition, testing and certification for proficiency in office skills is available through organizations such as the International Association of Administrative Professionals; National Association of Legal Secretaries (NALS), Inc and Legal Secretaries International, Inc. Handy courses to take may include:
- Business Mathematics
- Software Applications
- Data Entry
- Business Writing and Communications
Office Assistant and Administrative Assistant Careers
With administrative assistant training you would you gain experience with computers, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, data entry, be able to multi-task,have great writing and communication skills, and a friendly, outgoing personality.
An A.S. in Administrative Office Management is a great start for this career path. Other programs in administrative assistant training. Administrative assistants work in many settings including corporations, schools and colleges, legal offices as legal secretaries, and hospitals and other medical and health care facilities as medical assistants.
The duties of an administrative assistant can include data entry answering the phone, faxing, filing, front office (reception), making order for supplies, etc. Professionals with an Administrative Assistant certification may also be required to take notations and dictation. To be successful they must practice business ethics, time management skills, critical thinking skills, organizational skills, self-organization and interpersonal communication skills.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The average income for secretaries, except legal, medical, and executive is about $28,000. For executive secretaries and administrative assistant it is about $38,000 while for legal secretaries is goes up to $40,000. Of course this will also vary by you skill level, experience and level of responsibility. And with certification and experience you can expect a higher income. The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports 2010 data as follows:
The median annual wage for secretaries and administrative assistants was $34,660. The lowest 10% earned less than $21,730, and the top 10% earned more than $55,960. Earning are broken down as follows:’
- Executive secretaries – $43,520
- Legal secretaries – $41,500
- Medical secretaries – $30,530
- Secretaries, except legal, medical, and executive – $30,830
Employment of secretaries and administrative assistants is expected to grow 12% from 2010 to 2020. For executive secretaries and administrative assistants is projected to grow 13%, while for medical secretaries it is projected to grow 41%. Employment of legal secretaries is expected to grow 4%.
The U.S. Department of Labor predicts that careers for office professionals are expected to increase by 9% through 2014. College graduates with administrative assistant training, related experience, a high level of creativity, and strong communication skills would be most suited to fill the positions.
Administrative Assistant, Executive Assistant & Secretarial Programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Office Management
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- DIP - Business Office Specialist
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Medical Office Administration
- Associate of Applied Science:Office Management
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right IT, Computer Science, Cybersecurity, Software and Application Development, Web Design or Technology Management Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Information Technology Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect IT/Computer Science Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!