An advertising degree leads to careers in marketing, public relations, advertising design and other careers in business and the creative arts. Advertising promotes products, services, and events to a specific target audience. A target audience is defined as a portion of the general public that products, services or events are created for to meet a need in the market. Advertisements are created by written by advertising copywriters alongside graphic designers. Employees who have attained advertising degrees are responsible for coordination of research about the market. They set appropriate marketing strategies based on what is learned about the target audience. Advertising specialists might help to do pricing and product development. They set up advertising campaigns and monitor sales results. These employees might combine advertising tasks with other responsibilities in small companies or organizations. In large companies, there may be an entire department that has the role of designing advertising for the growth of sales.
Advertising Education and Training
A core curriculum for advertising management positions would likely include advertising courses in photography, art history, visual arts, communication technology and methods, sales, market research, consumer behavior and marketing. Some courses may include:
- Effective advertising design
- Advertising strategies
- Effective advertising sales
- Media planning and campaign
- Retail and sales advertising
- Ethics and law in advertising
- Marketing research
Creative and technical writing, public relations, public speaking, and business administration classes are helpful advertising classes but this vary by the structure of the particular advertising degree program. Promotional opportunities for experienced staff members are often used to fill positions.
Those who choose a career in advertising often begin with a degree in marketing or graphic arts. Employees might work individually as advertising sales representatives, technicians or commercial artists. The employees might work for a larger firm or group to create and promote and campaign for sales of a product or service.
Employees usually have to work within a budget, especially with a large firm. Most personnel in the profession find work for larger ad agencies or in large corporate advertising departments. Most positions are available in urban areas rather than rural areas.
The graduate of a degree in advertising program will be able to find an entry level position, but most companies expect to see experience along with the advertising degree. A portfolio showing relevant experience in the field will be helpful in finding a position. Experience in various media forms is more important all the time. Working with social networking, article marketing and pay per click programs are all part of the modern ad campaign.
Workers in this field usually work in an office environment. The managerial level of advertising executives are high level people in the organizational structure in large corporations. They help to define the company’s image and products for the public. A full campaign is well-planned and executed in every aspect.
Travel might be required. Campaigns may be high pressure. Creative efforts can be required under tight deadlines. Schedules must be met for ad copy creation and input to appropriate media forms. Advertising personnel might need to travel to divisional and regional office around the country of the globe. Meetings with other industry personnel, government agencies, and community interest groups are common when developing campaigns to market a product or service.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) for 2010 was reported as follows for careers related to sales and marketing:
The median annual wage for advertising sales agents was $45,350. The lowest 10% earned less than $22,780 and the top 10% earned more than $96,040. The employment of advertising sales agents is expected to increase 13% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of sales managers was $98,530. The lowest 10% earned less than $49,960, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of sales managers is expected to grow 12% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of advertising and promotions managers was $83,890. The lowest 10% earned less than $41,480, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of advertising and promotions managers is expected to grow 13% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage for marketing managers was $112,800. The lowest 10% earned less than $57,750, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of marketing managers is expected to grow 14% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of market research analysts was $60,570. The lowest 10% earned less than $33,350, and the top 10% earned more than $111,440. The employment of market research analysts is expected to grow 41% from 2010 to 2020.
Job openings for those who have advertising degree courses are expected to stay at about the same level as for other careers and professions during the next decade. Competition is high for openings. Those who are included within the growth of the career are individuals who are current with new and innovative means of reaching target audiences both with the domestic market and global markets.
Advertising and Marketing Programs
- Earn your online degree from SNHU. Study Anytime, Anywhere. Flexible on your schedule
- Over 200 career-focused online programs, one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation and a network of support.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- MS Marketing - Social Media Marketing
- Master of Science in Marketing - New Media and Communication
- MS Marketing
- And more...
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Internet Marketing, Master of Science (Online)
- Media Design, Master of Fine Arts (Online)
- Bachelor’s program options include Communication, Political Communication, Cinema-Television, and more.
- Several concentrations available, including Rhetoric and Public Culture, Strategic Communication, Theatre, Journalism, Internet and Social Media, and more.
- All concentrations are designed to teach students the fundamentals of journalism, helping them prepare for careers as reporters and writers.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BS in Business Administration - Marketing
- MBA - Marketing
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Business Development
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- MBA - Marketing
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Marketing
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Marketing
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Internet Marketing
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Marketing
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Marketing
- Bachelor of Arts in Business Administration/Marketing
- MBA Marketing