This article examines occupational opportunities from animal care training. Are you a person who always wanted to care for animals. Were you ever interested by the performance of killer whales or sharks that live in the ocean. Would you ever have a desire to help save any wild animals from a threat of extinction. Would you ever want to take the time to teach others to love animals. Should you have an interest in any of these things then perhaps you may want to consider having a major in some wildlife education, zoo keeping or animal care training. There are several colleges that offer programs that will help students turn this interest into reality by training them for this wonderful and fascinating field of animal training and care. If you are a person who is interested in this type of work, you will be able to find many educational programs in many community colleges as well as universities too. In many of the programs a student will get instructions in the modern techniques in regard to zoo keeping which will include restraint, nutrition and other veterinary procedures.
Animal Care Education and Training
Some of the colleges have animals such as the Asian elephant, marmosets, quails and ostrich. Several of these schools are known to have around 150 animals and are maintained on large acres of land that are provided by the schools right on the college campuses.
Students do perform some internships at some of the zoos located in the cities where the colleges are also located and also at several animal facilities around the country. The students will get classroom instructions in regard to the techniques entertaining and educational animal shows. The students will then develop their very own style when performing in public. Animal care courses may include:
- Anatomy and Physiology of Domestic Animals
- Animal Grooming
- Animal Sciences
- Animal Health
- Animal Breeding
- Veterinary Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Terminology
All the graduates receive their certificates from the animal care training program and also to those who reaching the educational requirements of the schools such as arts degree in the exotic animal management and training, associate of science, wildlife management or zoo keeping.
Animal Care Careers
In the United States there are so many people who will visit the aquariums and zoos, including sporting event which involve trained animals that will perform in educational and entertaining shows at several theme parks and animal facilities around the world. You can also find animals as featured actors in television shows and movies. Careers with animals vary, and may include some listed by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) such as:
- Feeding and giving water to animals
- Cleaning equipment and the living quarters of animals
- Monitoring animals and recording information like diet, behavior, physical condition like illness and injury to provide that information to the veterinarian
- Exercising animals
- Bathing and grooming pets
- Training animals
Professionals with credentials for careers can qualify to work with animals including veterinarians, veterinary technicians, veterinary assistants, or pet groomers. Some other procedures are working with animals that will appear in movies or television. Also you will be involved with courses that deal with fund raising, public relations, supervision and planning.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The median annual wage of non-farm animal caretakers was $19,550 in 2010 with a range of $16,050 for the lowest 10% and over $31,880 for the highest 10%.The median annual wage of animal trainers was $26,580 for the same period. The lowest 10% earned below $17,240 and the top 10% earned more than $53,580. The overall employment of animal care and service workers is expected to grow 23% between 2010 and 2020 (BLS).
Becoming part of this field of animal care training is a very rewarding and bright career choice for anyone who loves working with animals. You can find employment from several websites online or through an voice response telephone systems that are also available for anyone who wishes to apply for some job opportunities.
Veterinary Assistant Programs
- Health Care degrees include BA in Health Care Administration, BS in Health Information Management, BS in Nursing (RN to BSN), and more.
- Coursework focuses on relevant topics in the health care field, such as administration, planning, and policy.
- Students can specialize in areas like Human Resource Management, Health Care Informatics Systems, and Long-Term Care Management.
- Online degree programs that can help students pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Medical Assisting, Medical Billing and Coding, Healthcare Administration, Health Informatics, Nursing and Health Sciences Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Health and Medical Assisting Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Medical Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!