A counseling psychology degree is an excellent opportunity for those who wish to obtain a degree in this field. These colleges and universities have experienced psychology professors who work closely with their students and are on hand, at any time, to answer any and all questions which might arise. In choosing an online college, it is important to determine the courses and degree they are offering to make sure that it meets one’s state requirements. Many different classes are available, making it easy to choose something that meets one’s requirements. A number of colleges offer programs that are open ended. In other words, there is no time-line that must be met. In other programs there are certain log-in times when assignments are due.
Counseling Psychology Education and Training
Counseling psychology courses one would take to obtain a psychology degree would include such things as Foundations of Psychology, Life span Development, Psychology of Learning, Research Methods, Evaluation and Assessment, and other areas of study. All of these are needed in order to understand human behavior as it relates to individual mental reactions to certain situations. Courses may include:
- Treatment of Substance Abuse
- Counseling Theories
- Counseling Techniques
- Research in Counseling
- Developmental Psychology
- Group Dynamics and Counseling
- Professional and Ethical Issues in Counseling
- Family Dynamics and Counseling
Licensing requirements vary from state to state so this should be checked out to be sure all are satisfied. Qualifying for this position requires a master’s or doctorate degree in counseling psychology. With a doctorate counseling psychology degree, and licensed, one has a huge advantage, especially in private hospitals, which offer high salaries. The more education one has the more opportunities are available and, hence, a higher income.
Psychologists are generally required to hold master’s, specialist, or doctoral degree in psychology. In addition, practicing psychologists are also required to have a license or certification. In addition, psychologists who practice independently are required to be licensed (Bureau of Labor Statistics – BLS).
School psychologists are also required to be licensed or certified, as per the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). In addition, The American Board of Professional Psychology awards certification in 13 areas of psychology including clinical health, couple and family, psychoanalysis, and rehabilitation (BLS).
Counseling Psychology Careers
A career as a Counseling Psychologist is one of the most interesting available anywhere and now it is possible to obtain a Counseling Psychology Degree online. This is a position where one can offer help to people who are suffering from such things as depression or stress and help them return to a normal, happy life.
More and more people are seeking this kind of counseling due to career stress, financial and personal problems. A licensed counseling psychologist, with a PhD is required to carefully interview patients in order to understand their problems and state of mind. Understanding the emotional problems, from mild to severe, of patients is vital to assist them in a complete recovery. With this license one is also qualified to work as a in research, teaching and counseling positions.
Because there are such a wide variety of positions that can be filled by a licensed counseling psychologist, the outlook for employment is excellent. Many positions are currently available with hospitals, the Federal Government, schools, private companies, colleges, research, private consultations, and others. Having a license in this profession opens many doors and opportunities for rapid advancement.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
There are a number of things that are involved regarding the salary range of a counseling psychologist. Experience, education, type of work involved, location of the job all have to do with determining the amount received. Reports show a beginning salary of $30,000, up to $70,000 with 15 years of experience and a counseling psychology degree.
The median annual wage of psychologists was $68,640 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $39,200 while the top 10 percent earned over $111,810. The overall employment of psychologists is expected to grow 22% between 2010 and 2020 (Bureau of Labor Statistics – BLS). Those in private practice are reported to earn more.
Counseling, Psychology, and Mental Health Programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Degrees include BA in Psychology, BA in Applied Behavioral Science, MA in Psychology, and more.
- Courses focus on developing students’ understanding of the psychological factors involved in human behavior.
- Instruction designed to prepare students for various career paths, including careers in the mental health field, business, and law.
- Flexible online courses help students pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Cognitive Studies
- MA Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.