When you have a doctorate in business degree, you are the one responsible for management, economics and other related areas with practical application and theory. The degree is also known as a DBA. The degree is a research and application degree beyond the masters (MBA) degree level. These graduates typically go on to teach in colleges, as well as conduct research for universities and offering tactics to companies to compete better. This will offer several different career paths that can be taken and many opportunities for career choices. Some will go into roles to head companies and be responsible for the managing and running of them, while others will act as a consultant to give owners an edge in creating products and maintaining the level of consumer profits for them. You can get a general degree or specialize in an area where you would write a dissertation or be published in a professional journal on theory or practice to obtain the doctorate.
Doctorate in Business Education and Training
Classes in the doctorate in business degree can include accounting, retail management, business psychology, finance, HR and global sustainability courses amongst others. For those that choose to specialize in administration, the focus will be on running the company and obtaining management classes to prepare you for that role. Business theory is also a major portion of the degree focus and classes are geared toward this will also need to be part of your curriculum. Concentrations with business PhD programs include the following:
- Project management
- Organizational behavior
- Organizational management
- Organizational leadership
- International business
- Risk management
- Change management
- International business
- Human resource management
- Operations management
- Supply chain management
- Health care administration
- Health care management
- Non profit management
Areas of study in the doctorate in business vary but often include course in Accounting and Management, Business Economics, Finance, Marketing, Organizational Behavior and Leadership, Strategic Planning and Management and other areas. Many of the courses taken on a case study approach, as well as readings in advanced theories and principles of business administration and management. Often the coursework required includes research methodology and design in preparation for completing the dissertation.
Careers with a DBA
Upon complete of the doctorate in business you will be in a career path you will be responsible for training those in leadership roles and may obtain a director’s position. Some will choose to go into consulting and will help them perform forecasts of theories that pertain to the company, and offer techniques for those to run the companies more effectively.
Many go into teaching after completing the doctorate in business degree, where they become professors at colleges to teach courses that can be part of any of the degree programs. Some universities also offer research and some will go on to continue developing theories while they are under tenure at the institution.
Consultants have the widest variance in pay, but have the greatest earning capacity due to the nature of the freelance work and teaching the changing theories to larger companies. Since they offer their services as a per pay for work, their income is harder to measure in an annual average. Top companies for consulting have no limit for the amount that they can earn.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
On an average, the annual income can be between $40,000 to $80,000. Those in the top 5% of earning with the degree can make in excess of $100,000, especially in academia and with those that are heading up a research project.
With a doctorate in business degree, the potential to find a job remains high. This is one of the most specialized fields of study, and with leadership roles, teaching and freelance work the ability to find employment is expected to continue to grow. As theories change in the professional environment, finding those that understand them and can adapt will be in high demand from companies with growth of positions increasing in today’s market.
Business Doctorate Programs
- Prepare to meet business challenges, achieve your career goals, and move ahead in today’s workforce as you explore vital business and leadership fundamentals.
- After successfully completing the first four courses in our MBA program, you will receive a graduate-level certificate, giving you a valuable credential while you work toward completing your degree.
- The MBA program offers 11 specializations, including Accounting, Leadership and Project Management, Marketing and Human Resource Management.
- The MBA program is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- D.B.A. in Social Impact Management
- D.B.A. - Self-Designed
- D.B.A. - Marketing
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Doctor of Business Administration
- Doctor of Management General Concentration (Executive Format)
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Management - D.B.A.
- General Business - D.B.A.
- Management - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- And more...