You might what to look at degrees in education if you love working with kids and have a passion for teaching others. Examples of education programs include Master of Science Education, Early Childhood Education, Educational specialist in educational leadership and a PhD in education.You gain certification through early childhood education degree programs that will enable you to perform a combination of basic care and teaching duties. Helping keep young children healthy is a very important part of the job as these are the formative years in educating and socializing children. Areas of employment are many, including trainers, educational technology coordinators, administrators, teachers, counselors, curriculum designers, librarians, etc. For this reason, education is one of the largest industries and employers, in the United States.
Teaching and Education Programs
Teacher Education Programs
Education Administration Programs
Training and Adult Education Programs
Teacher Education and Training
You will need at least an associate degree in education, child development, or childcare to work as a childcare provider but to become a teacher you would need a four-year degree from an accredited university through an education degree program. You would also need to pass a state certification exam prior to employment by a school district. Private schools operate differently, and many may not require educators to have state certification. However, most private institutions require employees to hold an education degree to retain tenure.
Childcare workers have more localized requirements and certifications based on state standards. Certification requirements are lower for private care, and generally higher for certain publicly funded programs. You can gain employment with a high school diploma and a certification program if you want to become a childcare worker, for example working a daycare.
Childcare workers play a vital role in early childhood education, and preparing children to build the skills they will need in school and society. Childcare certifications and teaching can be found through a variety of programs on campus and online.
Concentrations in Education
- Master in Educational Leadership
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Early Childhood Education
- K12 Education
- Certificate/K12 Education
- Special Education
Licensure and Certification
All states require teachers in public schools to be licensed, or certified. The requirements for certification vary by state but all states require at least a bachelor’s degree. For those who teach in private schools licensure may not be required, but may nonetheless be preferred.
- Each sate may require candidates to pass a teaching certification test, demonstrates their knowledge in the subject they will teach
- Teachers are often required to complete annual professional development classes to maintain their certificates
- Most states require teachers to pass a background check
- Some states require teachers to complete a master degree after receiving certification
- All states offer an alternative route to certification for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree but are missing education courses required for certification
- States also require students in teacher preparation programs to complete supervised experience in teaching earned through student teaching or teaching practicum
- Some states require a minimum grade point average
- With additional education or certification, teachers can work toward becoming school counselors, librarians, instructional coordinators, assistant principals or principals
Careers in Education
Getting an Education Degree will prepare you to work with students and learners of various ages, depending on your preference. Many people say that working as a teacher or educator is one of the most rewarding experiences and careers. Knowing that you touched or impacted another human being is a reward in itself! You will make a great teacher if you:
- Enjoy working with learners of all ages
- Are good at communicating
- Enjoy helping others learn
- Find knowledge and lifelong learning stimulating
- Are prepared for daily rewards and challenges
In the teaching profession you are responsible for:
- Introducing language development
- Improving social skills
- Introducing scientific concepts
- Introducing mathematical concepts
- Enhancing artistic development
You can prepare to work in educational programs that combine content and subjects with teaching knowledge and skills (pedagogy). Education is one of the largest industries. Think about it – almost everyone you know has attained at least some level of education, and a teacher (or teachers) help them get there. Even doctors, lawyers, pilots etc all had teachers in their lives at one point. This means that you have many career and job options available when you graduate.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS reports the following median annual wage for 2010.
- Kindergarten teachers – $48,800
- Elementary school teachers – $51,660
- Middle school teachers – $51,960
- High school teachers – $53,230
- Special education teachers – $53,220
Employment of kindergarten, elementary, and middle school teachers is expected to grow by 17% from 2010 to 2020. There will always be a need for qualified teachers! Especially for mathematics and science. Therefore, if you are interested in becoming a teacher or childcare worker, you will have little trouble finding a job. The number of women in the labor force of childbearing age and the number of children under 5 years of age continue to rise over the next decade.
Education and Teaching Programs
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Education*
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- E-Learning - EdS
- MEd - Reading Education
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- And more...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- MA in Education
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Distance Learning