You might what to look at degrees in education if you love working with kids and have a passion for teaching others. Examples of education programs include Master of Science Education, Early Childhood Education, Educational specialist in educational leadership and a PhD in education.You gain certification through early childhood education degree programs that will enable you to perform a combination of basic care and teaching duties. Helping keep young children healthy is a very important part of the job as these are the formative years in educating and socializing children. Areas of employment are many, including trainers, educational technology coordinators, administrators, teachers, counselors, curriculum designers, librarians, etc. For this reason, education is one of the largest industries and employers, in the United States.
Teaching and Education Programs
Teacher Education Programs
Education Administration Programs
Training and Adult Education Programs
Teacher Education and Training
You will need at least an associate degree in education, child development, or childcare to work as a childcare provider but to become a teacher you would need a four-year degree from an accredited university through an education degree program. You would also need to pass a state certification exam prior to employment by a school district. Private schools operate differently, and many may not require educators to have state certification. However, most private institutions require employees to hold an education degree to retain tenure.
Childcare workers have more localized requirements and certifications based on state standards. Certification requirements are lower for private care, and generally higher for certain publicly funded programs. You can gain employment with a high school diploma and a certification program if you want to become a childcare worker, for example working a daycare.
Childcare workers play a vital role in early childhood education, and preparing children to build the skills they will need in school and society. Childcare certifications and teaching can be found through a variety of programs on campus and online.
Concentrations in Education
- Master in Educational Leadership
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Early Childhood Education
- K12 Education
- Certificate/K12 Education
- Special Education
Licensure and Certification
All states require teachers in public schools to be licensed, or certified. The requirements for certification vary by state but all states require at least a bachelor’s degree. For those who teach in private schools licensure may not be required, but may nonetheless be preferred.
- Each sate may require candidates to pass a teaching certification test, demonstrates their knowledge in the subject they will teach
- Teachers are often required to complete annual professional development classes to maintain their certificates
- Most states require teachers to pass a background check
- Some states require teachers to complete a master degree after receiving certification
- All states offer an alternative route to certification for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree but are missing education courses required for certification
- States also require students in teacher preparation programs to complete supervised experience in teaching earned through student teaching or teaching practicum
- Some states require a minimum grade point average
- With additional education or certification, teachers can work toward becoming school counselors, librarians, instructional coordinators, assistant principals or principals
Careers in Education
Getting an Education Degree will prepare you to work with students and learners of various ages, depending on your preference. Many people say that working as a teacher or educator is one of the most rewarding experiences and careers. Knowing that you touched or impacted another human being is a reward in itself! You will make a great teacher if you:
- Enjoy working with learners of all ages
- Are good at communicating
- Enjoy helping others learn
- Find knowledge and lifelong learning stimulating
- Are prepared for daily rewards and challenges
In the teaching profession you are responsible for:
- Introducing language development
- Improving social skills
- Introducing scientific concepts
- Introducing mathematical concepts
- Enhancing artistic development
You can prepare to work in educational programs that combine content and subjects with teaching knowledge and skills (pedagogy). Education is one of the largest industries. Think about it – almost everyone you know has attained at least some level of education, and a teacher (or teachers) help them get there. Even doctors, lawyers, pilots etc all had teachers in their lives at one point. This means that you have many career and job options available when you graduate.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS reports the following median annual wage for 2010.
- Kindergarten teachers – $48,800
- Elementary school teachers – $51,660
- Middle school teachers – $51,960
- High school teachers – $53,230
- Special education teachers – $53,220
Employment of kindergarten, elementary, and middle school teachers is expected to grow by 17% from 2010 to 2020. There will always be a need for qualified teachers! Especially for mathematics and science. Therefore, if you are interested in becoming a teacher or childcare worker, you will have little trouble finding a job. The number of women in the labor force of childbearing age and the number of children under 5 years of age continue to rise over the next decade.
Education and Teaching Programs
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- B.S. in Educational Studies (Does Not Lead to Teacher Licensure)
- B.S. in Early Childhood
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- Undergraduate in Early Childhood
- Bachelor of Science in Early Childhood Administration
- And more...
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Education Studies
- MA/Education - No Specialization
- BA/Library Science and Media
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- M.Ed. in Career and Technical Education
- And more...
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Special Ed
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Technology
- M.Ed. Curr & Ins - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- And more...
UNE Online, through the College of Graduate and Professional Studies, strives to enhance, expand and enrich learning opportunities in online programs. The UNE Online staff is highly invested in the success of each enrolled student from application to graduation and beyond.
- Graduate Certificate in Education in Curriculum & Instruction Strategies
- Graduate Certificate in Education in Inclusion Education
- MS Education in Inclusion Education
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- E-Learning - EdS
- MEd - Reading Education
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- And more...