This article will take a look at educational leadership programs. The heart and soul of the educational leadership degree online program study and work is becoming actively involved in decision-making policy in the field of education. With an educational leadership degree, you can pursue a career as a school principal or assistant principal, in addition to other leadership positions in library and media as well as technology integration in the curriculum. That alludes to decisions about curriculum, and courses, for example. Also, the main thesis of masters and educational leadership doctoral programs and work is something termed “cohorts”; this refers to a group of students who are all involved in this program. So, this is a team approach. The central thrust of educational leadership degree programs is to bring new knowledge and approaches into the field. With that comes a plethora of fresh new ideas and thoughts. Professionals in educational leadership are groomed for, and prepared to deal with public policy, in the public and private sector, that will address violence in the school systems.
Educational Leadership Preparation and Training
There are two-degree levels offered in this educational leadership distance learning programs: Educational leadership masters programs and doctorate in educational leadership. At one college, it is a three-year course of study and work. Upon completion and at the end of this course of study, the candidate is awarded an E. D. D., a doctorate of education.
Examples of educational leadership courses may include educational management, leadership styles, conflict resolution and management, human resources, educational research methods, curriculum design, educational technology and technology integration, assessment and evaluation, and grant writing. Other courses may include:
- Curriculum Organization and Development
- School Law
- School Services
- Education Law
- Fiscal Issues in Education
Licensure and Certification
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) indicates that all states require teachers in public schools to be licensed, or certified. The requirements for certification vary by state but all states require at least a bachelor’s degree. For those who teach in private schools licensure may not be required, but may nonetheless be preferred.
- Each sate may require candidates to pass a teaching certification test, demonstrates their knowledge in the subject they will teach
- Teachers are often required to complete annual professional development classes to maintain their certificates
- Most states require teachers to pass a background check
- Some states require teachers to complete a master degree after receiving certification
- All states offer an alternative route to certification for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree but are missing education courses required for certification
- States also require students in teacher preparation programs to complete supervised experience in teaching earned through student teaching or teaching practicum
- Some states require a minimum grade point average
- With additional education or certification, teachers can work toward becoming school counselors, librarians, instructional coordinators, assistant principals or principals
Education and Teaching Careers
And, it is an exciting field, for that reason. Educators are drawn to educational leadership programs, so they can be involved in a cohort of individuals who work in many divisions of the educational continuum. The team approach is one of the strengths of this field.
The cohort is united in acting as one, together, to develop and apply new connections in research, leadership, and technology to improve educational practices. Another point of this program is to get educators involved in, and in a position to get involved in educational associations, learning ventures, and in positions from which these individuals are able to influence public policy. Some positions include:
- Classroom teacher
- Special education teachers
- School librarians
- Media specialists
- Educational technologists
- School counselors and school psychologists
- Principals and assistant principal
- University professors
- Career counselors
- Education researcher
- School textbook writers
- Educational consultants
- State Boards and state department officials
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
This profession and concurrent course of study is exciting. This is because of the ramifications and its impact on the field of education; to make it more humanistic and provide a safe environment for education and learning is one of the benefits that Educational Leadership Programs bring about. In addition, it further intellectualizes this field, thus enabling a nation’s youth to take over leadership of the country. The salary range is reasonable, and opens the door to improvement in education.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that the median annual wage of elementary, middle, and high school principals was $86,970 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned below $58,300, and the top 10% earned over $129,480. The employment of elementary, middle, and high school principals is projected to grow by 10% between 2010 and 2020.
The median annual wage for postsecondary education administrators was $83,710 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $47,130 while the top 10% earned more than $164,540. The employment of postsecondary education administrators is expected to grow by 19% between 2010 and 2020.
Overall, the average salary of graduates of educational leadership programs ranges from $47,000 to $90,000 annually. As for the salary range for educators, in this field, is $32,300.
Education Leadership Programs
- Want to be a Teacher or Educational Administrator? Learn why GCU could be the best place to start! Here's why:
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate education programs, including TESOL, early childhood ed, elementary ed, secondary ed & more.
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both. We also offer evening classes!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Financial Options: Numerous financing options available, including scholarships for academic achievement.
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- MA/Education - School Leadership in the 21st Century
- MA/Education - Family and Community Services
- BA/Early Childhood Education Administration
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Higher Education - College Administration and Leadership
- MS in Higher Education - Student Affairs
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- Teacher Leadership (EDD)
- And more...
UNE Online, through the College of Graduate and Professional Studies, strives to enhance, expand and enrich learning opportunities in online programs. The UNE Online staff is highly invested in the success of each enrolled student from application to graduation and beyond.
- Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study in Advanced Educational Leadership
- Graduate Certificate in Education in Educational Leadership
- Doctor of Education in Educational Leadership (Ed.D.)
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Educational Leadership - EdS
- Leadership in Higher Education - EdS
- Organizational Leadership - PhD in Education
- And more...
- Instructional Design & Technology
- M.Ed. Curr & Ins - Dyslexia Studies & LBLD
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Special Ed
- M.Ed. Curriculum Instr - Technology
- And more...