With an educational technology degree you can specialize in various areas including curriculum design, curriculum and technology, instructional technology, integrating technology in the classroom, teaching with technology, and instructional design. While education technology, is associated with computers and other technology, it goes beyond the use of gadgets in instruction. Educational technology also deals with the analysis, design, development, implementation, and evaluation of instructional methods in teaching and learning and teaching. The goal of educational technology is to improve teaching and learning outcomes in instructional environments. Educational technology is diverse and its applications are many. For example a teacher using technology tools in the classroom (technology integration), a corporate trainer using a training module on new sales procedures, or an instructional designer designing a new online course, etc. This merge of teaching and technology is known as educational technology, and is significant trends in education today as students prepare to attain skills that they can apply in the workshop.
Educational Technology Preparation and Training
A majority of educational technology programs are offered at the graduate level, and lead to a Master of Education or Master of Science in Educational Technology or PhD in Educational Technology. However a few programs are offered at the bachelor degree level. Online schools offer the full range of available qualifications, from bachelor’s degrees to PhD educational technology degrees.
A bachelor’s or master’s degree in educational technology will help you develop the skills you need to work with the latest technologies in education. The Internet, multimedia tools, and computer technology are just a few of the major areas you might cover in a standard program. Educational technology courses may include:
- Educational media and technology
- Integrating technology into the classroom
- Library media and digital libraries
- Developing multimedia materials
- Educational hardware systems
- Gaming and simulation
- Distance education theories and models
- Computer interface design for learning
- Instructional design and development
Careers in Educational Technology
An advantage of earning an educational technology degree is the variety of places where you can work. Graduate with an educational technology degree can work in a host of settings in teaching, technology coordination in schools, school administration, curriculum development, educational software development companies, book publishing companies, etc.
Educational technology graduates can also work in business, industry, government, military, healthcare, non-profit organizations etc. They hold positions as instructional designers, corporate training specialists, and e-learning specialists.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The income of educational technologists varies depending on the job title. According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics, curriculum designers earn over $58,000 corporate trainers earned up to $90,300. K-12 teachers averaged an annual income of $52,450 per year while school make over $82,000.
The median annual wage of training and development managers was $89,170 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $50,470, and the top 10% earned more than $148,950. The employment is expected to grow 15% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of instructional coordinators was $58,830 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $33,490, and the top 10% earned more than $93,080. Employment of instructional coordinators is expected to grow by 20% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of technical writers was $63,280 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $37,160, and the highest 10% earned more than $100,910. The employment of technical writers is expected to grow 17% from 2010 to 2020.
The following are other positions and estimated median income based on the position:
- Instructional Technology Specialist – $51,466
- Instructional Designer – $59,000 – $67,000
- Educational Technologist – $49,000
A degree in educational technology prepares graduates to address the changing demands of the education sector through training and development in addition to helping students update their technology skills. Employment prospects in educational technology remain quite favorable as schools and companies develop a greater need for new technologies. Thus an educational degree is a viable option for those who wish to enhance their current career or switch to education and training.
Education Technology Programs
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- MA/Education - Exceptional Systems for Revolutionizing Education
- BA/Instructional Design
- MA/Education - Curriculum & Instruction
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education - Educational Psychology
- MS in Education in Instructional Technology - Adult Learning-Organizations
- MS in Instructional Technology (K-12)
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Curriculum and Instruction for Educators
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Instructional Design and Technology
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.