What is the role of emergency management degrees? Is it the same as an disaster management degree? For the most part these two different programs prepare professionals in the same general area. In online emergency management degree programs you can take courses in disaster preparedness, homeland security, emergency preparedness, disaster relief, and public safety. We are living in an age where we need to be physically and mentally prepared for a range of disasters, not just on a local level but also on a national level. Specialists in disaster management and crisis management are able to apply their training and knowledge to combat hazardous situations and ensure the needs of society are met in the most efficient and quick manner. They are able to respond to any type of emergency and direct resources that would minimize the potential for harm. This can include coordinating workers, information, and supplies.
Emergency Management Education and Training
Emergency management courses are offered by various educational institutions. Depending on the specific emergency management program, you can choose to sign up for a bachelor, masters, or doctorate program. Emergency management college training would be provided with such skills as how to make correct judgments and decisions, problem solving techniques, understanding hazards, teamwork, emergency communication, stress management, care, and leadership. Courses may include:
- Policy and Public Administration
- Legal Considerations for Fire and Emergency
- International Security
- Homeland Security
- Emergency Medical Service Management
Depending on the course chosen you would also have to study such subjects as public safety, law and government, IT, media, and administration. In addition, emergency management training is often offered on the job, specific to job requirements.
The emergency management programs available today would train you in how to effectively deal with a diverse range of disasters. This can include terrorist attacks, technological breakdowns, hostage situations, natural disasters, nuclear disasters, large accidents, and the spill of hazardous materials.
Emergency Management Careers
The role and responsibility of specialists in this field may involve educating and training people, local governments, and businesses on preparatory and prevention techniques. Also you may be required to develop fool proof plans to ensure communication between various agencies and authorities that would deal with the emergency situations, for example the fire department and police department. You would also have to create protocols that can be adopted in case of disruption to essential facilities and utilities such as the electricity and water supply.
There are various options for emergency management jobs. Successful graduates would be able to find employment in local, state, and federal government bodies as well as in schools, hospitals, the fire service, law enforcement, and voluntary organizations. Job titles can include emergency coordinator, director of security, emergency readiness instructor, risk management specialist, and disaster coordinator.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Emergency management and disaster preparation is a fast growing field, at present the stands at around 27%. It is a line of work that attracts people who have enterprising and social skills as well as investigative traits. If you want to play an important role in ensuring the well being of society on a national and local level, you could do far worse than exploring the option of becoming a qualified emergency management specialist.
The salary for those with emergency management degrees would depend upon the exact nature of the qualification received as well as experience. As a guide you can expect a starting salary of around $47,000, this can rise to hundreds of thousands of dollars with time. Specialized training would allow you to command the best financial rewards.
Crisis and Emergency Management Programs
- Offers associate and bachelor-level programs in Criminal Justice.
- Program topics include criminal investigation processes and ethics, criminal law, juvenile justice and more.
- A B.A.S. in Criminal Justice program is also available for students who already possess an A.A.S.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Public Administration in Emergency Management and Homeland Security
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor’s and master’s programs in Criminal Justice available
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Criminal Justice Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2017
- Concentrations include Forensics, Homeland Security, and Cybercrime and Security
- Students study law enforcement operations, corrections, and criminal investigation
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- Doctor of Management - Homeland Security (Executive Format)
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Forensic Science, Law Enforcement, Policing, Homeland Security and National Defense, and Criminal Justice Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.