Consider a family studies degree for a career working with human development. Areas of study include child studies and marriage therapy. Family studies examines family life. It looks at issues related to relationships and works to improve the lives of individual family members and the family unit. If you are a student who may have some interest in human development and family studies, and if you are looking for a bright future with a rewarding career, then perhaps the family studies degree will be your best option. There are plenty of schools and universities that are offering classes in this field. It shall provide students with the chance to learn all intricacies that is of the human behavior in people. Also they will learn about relationships that are between family members and the several ways that can better their lives. Anyone seeking a career in this field can either earn an associates, bachelors or masters of the human developments along with family studies.
Family Studies Education and Training
The associates in the human development is a offered at many community colleges. At these schools students will be presented with the introduction to the social services path towards a career and from there the students then will transfer to the four year program. Having a major in human development will mean that the student will learn to understand all about the process of human life.
Students will also be taught how to discover ways that could help people to be more happy through the sue of community activities, some social interaction, along with counseling. The cover topics in family dynamics, social environments, interpersonal relationships and child development. Other courses include:
- Human development
- Interpersonal communication
- Parent-child relations
- Counseling Techniques for Families Coping with Stress
- Personal and family finance
- Public policy
- Social Policy
While the above are some of the courses that students will take part in when they are part of the human studies degree, the program of study will vary from school to school. The family studies degree will focus on preparing each student for a wonderful and rewarding career in social services. It shall also provide to the students a fundamental education which is all about this profession, which can advance up to a bachelors degree.
Online marriage and family therapy degree child and family studies degree programs do accept applicants who may have a high school diploma or at least a G.E.D. The coursework for these kind of programs are for student to learn and understand all about developmental problems with adults, child development, professional ethics and marriage.
Family Studies Careers
These programs that are in the human development, will offer the student other areas of studies, such as adult development, childhood education, and or aging services. Graduates who hold an associates in this career choice shall be fully eligible for several social service positions, which shall include day care center employee, developmental officer, nursing home assistant and community outreach worker. In most cases the after earning an associates in this particular field, the next step will be for a student to continue their education and earn a bachelors.
Employment in the social and human services is a fairly common career path, with employment in areas that include: business, public agencies, and government agencies. The position may include working in hospitals, long-term care facilities, government agencies and non-profit human service organizations.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The employment and salary outlook appears to be promising to graduates of this career choice. There are jobs in family and marriage therapy, counseling and social work. Families and also schools. The median earnings for those who choose this field will range between $13.72 on up to $16.54 per hour.
Median salaries for educational counselors is over $45,570 per year while the median annual salary for postsecondary educators are over $51,800. The median annual salary for child life specialists is $43,665.
The median annual wage of psychologists was $68,640 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $39,200 while the top 10 percent earned over $111,810. The overall employment of psychologists is expected to grow 22% between 2010 and 2020 (Bureau of Labor Statistics – BLS). This field is becoming quite popular, which could be from the increase for graduates who have a degree in human studies or a family studies degree.
Marriage and Family Therapy Programs
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Family Dynamics
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Ed.D. Educational Psychology and Technology
- M.A. Psychology
- Online Ph.D. Applied Behavior Analysis
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017