Why should you consider a hospitality degree program? What kind of career can you look forward to upon graduation from a degree in hospitality management? Hospitality management is a a field of work and a field of study. it refers to management of hotels, restaurants, travel agencies, and various other institutions in what is known as the hospitality industry. If you enjoy interacting with people and love the idea of going just about anywhere in the world than working towards bachelor or MBA in hospitality management might be just the choice for you as it gives you the opportunity to work closely with others and allow you to help others feel at home while away from home. It is as important with these programs as it would the with all others that you take your time and carefully review each school you are considering, understanding their history and their teaching methods, as well as any requirements that must be met by you before being granted entry into the program. Most often potential students are required to successfully pass an entry exam before being permitted to enter the program.
Hospitality Management Education and Training
It is helpful to have experience in your field, if not before you begin your hospitality course during your course by setting yourself up with an internship to help you understand what will be required of you when you have completed school. This does not only just help with getting an understanding of the field but helps you acquire some experience that can later be used to help you get employment. In some cases, the program that you are in will help you set up an internship though you should be prepared to set it up yourself if necessary.
Some hospitality courses that are more specific to the needs of hospitality students that you will need to learn are industry standards and how to handle finance. You also need to learn about how to purchase items for the business that you are responsible for, meeting planning, convention planning as well.
If you have a specific interest within the field of hospitality in many cases, you can choose a specific program that can point you in that direction for example culinary arts, baking and pastry and food service management. Other areas of study may include:
- Events coordination and management
- Managerial finance
- Tourism management
- Manegerial accounting
- Food and beverage management
- Facilities and properties management
- Public relations
As with many MBA programs you may choose how long you want to be in your hospitality MBA program. Some people prefer to get their education part-time while they work, whereas others enjoy taking advantage of the fact that they can take the course over a two to four year period. A lot of employers also allow their employees to update their skills by taking an MBA while they work which can be of great value to both the employer and the employees.
Hospitality Management Careers
Hospitality programs will allow you to acquire skills or improve skills that will assist you in handling the needs of the public in a wide variety of situations. It will teach you have to handle business administration tasks as well as how to do with marketing plans and strategies. Some positions might include:
- Event manager
- Lodging manager
- Director of special events
- Resort manager
Employment in industries such as this leaves a person with great deal of opportunities within the field. However to keep in mind that some aspects of the field are based more on seasonal changes than other jobs would percent because of the fact that you are quite often working at locations such as hotels and bed and breakfasts, which will be affected by not only changes in the season but may face changes as the economy changes.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Though it is more effective than others you will be pleased to know that it is expected to steady over the next two years and those in the industry are estimated to bring in a salary of approximately $25,000 to $75,000 per year based on where and when you are working while, others offer its employees as much as $170,000 per year and especially those with a hospitality MBA or similar qualifications.
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Culinary Arts Management (BS)
- Gives students the opportunity to earn their associate’s degree in the culinary arts field in less than 15 months
- Located in Norfolk and Newport News, Virginia.
- Offers externship experiences to students for experience in the field.
- Hosts regular career fairs for employer recruitment.
- Has student housing available.
- Food Service Management
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Health Club Operations
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Hospitality Management
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Public Administration in Non-profit & Faith Based Organizations
- Music Business, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Management Organizational Leadership and Change
- Doctor of Management - Organizational Development and Change (Executive Format)
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Online MS in Supply Chain Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Logistics Management