Graduates with human performance technology degrees can work in a variety of environments. Professionals with human performance technology degrees are employed by the businesses to assist in achieving the maximum performance from all individuals. HPT (Human Performance Technology) is an analytical approach to improving competence and productivity with set procedures and methods. It is a strategy to solve problems and realize opportunities that focus on the way people perform. More specifically, it is a process of analysis, selection, development, design, evaluation and implementation of programs to improve human accomplishment and behavior. The underlying purpose is to show people how they can make a positive contribution to the company’s profitability. HPT can be applied to large organizations, small groups, or individuals. Students can study either at a university campus or online. Many choose a combination of both methods. For those who want to study further in this field after obtaining initial qualifications, they can take a M.Ed in Adult Education course or a Med in Corporate Training course.
Human Performance Technology Education and Training
Studying can be done at any university that has an IPT (Instructional and Performance Technology) department. The various qualifications are: Master of Science Degree IPT, and three graduate certificates, namely HPT, WELPS (Workplace e-Learning and Performance Support), and WIDe (Workplace Instructional Design).
Human performance improvement courses are varied but may include: Instructional design and technology, needs assessment, project management, program evaluation, organizational behavior, organizational and industrial psychology, educational psychology, adult learning theory, knowledge management, etc. Other courses may include:
- Instructional design theories and models
- Needs assessment
- Project management
- Organizational behavior
Human performance technology degrees are generally offered at the masters or doctoral degree level, and students come from a variety of fields of practice.
Human Performance Technology Careers
What is the basis of human performance technology degrees? HPT uses a large variety of intervention strategies that are drawn from other disciplines. These include organizational development, behavioral psychology, human resources management, and instructional systems design. It therefore requires an in-depth analysis of existing levels of performance as well as the desired levels of performance.
Once the causes have been identified, HPT can offer solutions to achieve these goals. Human Performance Technology is focused on outcomes, i.e. results-based. Professionals in this field can find work in many different environments such as corporate businesses, educational facilities, and in the military.
The main duties of an HPT professional are to control, facilitate, and monitor the implementation and results of human performance systems. He or she will be called upon to evaluate all aspects of problems and then provide a solution involving materials, resources, and events. This is a rewarding and challenging job for anyone who is interested in human behavior.
The job description of an HPT professional is essentially to define the performance of employees and isolate problem areas. This is done using each individual’s behavior as the key factor. The HPT officer will then have to prescribe and implement appropriate solutions using strategies learnt during their university studies. The ultimate objective is to develop high-performance leaders and teams within an organization. When this is achieved, the benefits have a rollout effect that ultimately results in profitability.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
An increasing number of professionals are obtaining human performance technology degrees in this rapidly growing career that offers lucrative opportunities. Occupation analysts in the United States expect the number of HPT job opportunities to increase significantly. This is to keep pace with the increasing need for productivity in the workplace.
The median annual wage of training and development managers was $89,170 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $50,470, and the top 10% earned more than $148,950. The employment is expected to grow 15% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of instructional coordinators was $58,830 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $33,490, and the top 10% earned more than $93,080. Employment of instructional coordinators is expected to grow by 20% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of technical writers was $63,280 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $37,160, and the highest 10% earned more than $100,910. The employment of technical writers is expected to grow 17% from 2010 to 2020.
The following are other positions and estimated median income based on the position:
- Instructional Technology Specialist – $51,466
- Instructional Designer – $59,000 – $67,000
- Educational Technologist – $49,000
A highly skilled HPT development manager can expect to earn in the region of $92,000 per year. A base salary of around $52,000 annually is paid to those who are new to the working environment but have the necessary academic credentials for this field of work.
Coporate Training Programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Human Resources
- MBA - Human Resources
- BS in Business Administration - Human Resources
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Human Resource Management
- MBA - Human Resource Management
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- BA/Human Resource Management
- MA/Organizational Management - Human Resources Management
- MBA - Human Resources Management
- And more...
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration - Human Resource Management
- Master of Business Administration
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- The B.S. in Business Management program draws from the areas management, marketing, operations, and finance.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field
- Every instructor has been specially trained in the technology and teaching methods that work best in CSU-Global’s 100% online learning environment.
- Bachelors in Human Resource Management
- Graduate Certificate - Human Resource Management
- Master - Human Resource Management
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.