Law enforcement training offers exciting and fulfilling career opportunities. With new advances in forensic technology and an ever evolving legal landscape the careers in these areas will continue to grow. Careers in criminal justice, court reporting, homeland security etc encompass a variety of jobs that typically welcome individuals with educational and professional backgrounds in criminology, criminal justice, political science, psychology, social work, engineering, and a variety of other liberal arts and science disciplines. The field of law involves lawyers, notaries, paralegals, or other authorized professionals drafting legal documents for clients and depending on qualification, giving legal advice to clients and representing clients in negotiations and proceedings. While legal professions are very specialized, nearly every industry and profession is associated with law. Earning a degree in law enforcement will prepare you for various careers in crime prevention, investigation and prosecution.
Law Enforcement Education and Training
Education and law enforcement training is a combination of formal education, military or related work experience. In addition, internal training is usually offered by the employer. in addition to career training, law enforcement officers and agents are expected or required to undergo rigorous physical and psychological training.
Law enforcement officers who wish to advance to careers as detectives, state and federal investigators, and homeland security experts may need to get a masters in criminal justice, public administration, psychology, computer forensics, accounting forensics and other related areas. Law enforcement courses as part of your law enforcement training may include:
- Crime Prevention
- Computers in Law Enforcement
- Fundamentals of Criminal Investigation
- Applied Criminal Investigation and Criminalistics
- Forensic Accounting and the Legal Environment
- Criminal Procedures for Forensic Accountants
- Weapons and firearms
- Information Security
- Emergency Organizations and Management
- Emergency Response
- Comparative Criminal Justice Systems
- Crime Analysis
- Evidence Processing
- Criminal Investigative Techniques
On the job training and continuous training is also necessary for law enforcement officers to remain current in the field as well as to learn new policies and procedures. Once you get your degree in law enforcement the hunt for the best law enforcement gear begins!
Law Enforcement Careers
Law enforcement careers may include working as a:
- Police Officer
- FBI Agent
- U.S. Marshal
- Forensic Scientist
- Customs Agent
- Secret Service Agent
- Game Warden
- Sheriff or Deputy Sheriff
- State Trooper
These positions can include police officers, correctional officers, parole officers, deputies and sheriffs etc. Employment opportunities in law enforcement include:
- Local and state law enforcement agencies
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
- U.S. Secret Service
- State Bureau of Diplomatic Security
- Customs Inspectors /Border Patrol
- U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA)
- Department of Homeland Security
- U.S. Marshals and Deputy Marshals
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
With law enforcement training, the annual income ranges from $27,000 to $131,000 depending on the job rank, education credentials, and years of experience. A majority of law enforcement officials and agents work for local, state and federal governments as well as federal agencies like the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
The median annual wage of police and detectives was $55,010 in May 2010 with a projected employment growth rate of 7% from 2010 to 2020. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics projects good employment opportunities for careers in law enforcement. However, the candidates must meet the stipulated educational, ethical, psychological, physical, and complete law enforcement training requirements.
Law Enforcement and Police Programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Master of Science in Criminal Justice, and more.
- Advanced degrees in criminal justice help working professionals stay up to date on the latest law enforcement practices.
- Some programs offer the opportunity for hands-on experience working on real criminal cases.
- Flexible online and campus-based programs available.
- BS in Criminal Justice - Law Enforcement
- BS in Criminal Justice - Crime Scene Investigation
- AAS in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Criminal Justice - Bachelor's
- Offers associate and bachelor-level programs in Criminal Justice.
- Program topics include criminal investigation processes and ethics, criminal law, juvenile justice and more.
- A B.A.S. in Criminal Justice program is also available for students who already possess an A.A.S.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Criminal Justice
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Criminal Justice
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Forensic Science, Law Enforcement, Policing, Homeland Security and National Defense, and Criminal Justice Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.