Getting management information systems degrees, also known as a MIS degree, is a way to move into careers in both business and information technology. Management information systems degrees have become the next big thing taking into consideration the role of information dissemination in the modern world. With constant technological advancements taking the business stage by storm, the need to manage data has become a crucial part in the daily running of businesses. A number of colleges and institutions are offering the degree with a good selection of courses to take. The role of systems specialists in any organization is to ensure that the business or organization streamlines operations by incorporating the latest computer based technology to make work easier and more efficient. Thus Management Information Systems degree focus on providing information to managers of in an organization. This information relates to reports, statistics, stock inventories, payroll details, budgets etc.
Management Information Systems Training and Education
The educational and training requirements for management information systems degrees are broad based and needs some level of commitment from potential candidate if the degree program is to work out successfully. For starters, there are minimum academic requirements that one has to meet before gaining entry into the degree program. Courses may include:
- Introduction to Computer Systems
- Introduction to Computer Programming Languages
- Leadership in Organizations
- Risk Management
- Strategic Management
- IT Hardware and Systems Software
- Quality Assurance and Management
Besides the academic requirements, the institutions must have basic infrastructure in place and the necessary certifications or affiliations to established and reputable institutions of higher education. While many students seeking degrees were used to attending in-campus training, this trend is quickly being replaced by the long distance learning options as they open up better options for many people regardless of their geographical locations.
Management Information Systems Careers
Once candidate graduates with management information systems degrees, they are assured of numerous openings across the globe. The job description of such a degree holder will include the analysis and evaluation of the impact of technology and data handling in the daily running of their organizations.
Opportunities are numerous in this field due to the rapid expansion of the technology based business practices as well as the need for better efficiency in data handling. Looking for opportunity should not be any problem at all since every organization of repute must have some volumes of data to manage in order to remain relevant in business. This simply means that there is an opportunity in this sector in almost any organization you can imagine.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
A general outlook at the wages of information systems managers and others with management information systems degrees over the last few years gave an indication that they earn an average of about $85 000+ per year with some of the highest paid managers getting as much as $140,000 annually while the lowest paid ones getting as low as$65,000 annually.
These rates obviously go up as the manager stays on the job for longer due to frequent wage increases that come with many years of experience and service. there are averages that each sector attracts and fluctuations may vary.
The median annual wage of computer and information systems managers was $115,780 in 2010 (Bureau of Labor Statistics – BLS). The lowest 10% earned less than $71,420, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of computer and information systems managers is projected grow 18% between 2010 and 2020.
Management Information Systems Programs
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Management Information Systems and Business Analytics
- Master - Information Technology Management
- Choose from over 200 online undergraduate and graduate programs designed to take you where you want to go.
- Online tuition rates at SNHU are frozen at 2012 levels for the fifth consecutive year.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- IMBA - Information Technology Mgt
- MBA with concentration in Information Technology Mgmt
- MS Data Analytics
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BS in Information Technology - Business
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- And more...
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Business Intelligence
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration - Technology Management
- Master of Science in Management IT and Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - IT
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- MBA - Project Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Project Management
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- MBA Information Technology Management
- Mini MBA Certificate/Information Technology Management
- MBA Project Management
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
- IT Management - Bachelor's
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Management Information Systems - D.B.A.
- Management Information Systems - MBA
- Management Information Systems - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- And more...