Getting management information systems degrees, also known as a MIS degree, is a way to move into careers in both business and information technology. Management information systems degrees have become the next big thing taking into consideration the role of information dissemination in the modern world. With constant technological advancements taking the business stage by storm, the need to manage data has become a crucial part in the daily running of businesses. A number of colleges and institutions are offering the degree with a good selection of courses to take. The role of systems specialists in any organization is to ensure that the business or organization streamlines operations by incorporating the latest computer based technology to make work easier and more efficient. Thus Management Information Systems degree focus on providing information to managers of in an organization. This information relates to reports, statistics, stock inventories, payroll details, budgets etc.
Management Information Systems Training and Education
The educational and training requirements for management information systems degrees are broad based and needs some level of commitment from potential candidate if the degree program is to work out successfully. For starters, there are minimum academic requirements that one has to meet before gaining entry into the degree program. Courses may include:
- Introduction to Computer Systems
- Introduction to Computer Programming Languages
- Leadership in Organizations
- Risk Management
- Strategic Management
- IT Hardware and Systems Software
- Quality Assurance and Management
Besides the academic requirements, the institutions must have basic infrastructure in place and the necessary certifications or affiliations to established and reputable institutions of higher education. While many students seeking degrees were used to attending in-campus training, this trend is quickly being replaced by the long distance learning options as they open up better options for many people regardless of their geographical locations.
Management Information Systems Careers
Once candidate graduates with management information systems degrees, they are assured of numerous openings across the globe. The job description of such a degree holder will include the analysis and evaluation of the impact of technology and data handling in the daily running of their organizations.
Opportunities are numerous in this field due to the rapid expansion of the technology based business practices as well as the need for better efficiency in data handling. Looking for opportunity should not be any problem at all since every organization of repute must have some volumes of data to manage in order to remain relevant in business. This simply means that there is an opportunity in this sector in almost any organization you can imagine.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
A general outlook at the wages of information systems managers and others with management information systems degrees over the last few years gave an indication that they earn an average of about $85 000+ per year with some of the highest paid managers getting as much as $140,000 annually while the lowest paid ones getting as low as$65,000 annually.
These rates obviously go up as the manager stays on the job for longer due to frequent wage increases that come with many years of experience and service. there are averages that each sector attracts and fluctuations may vary.
The median annual wage of computer and information systems managers was $115,780 in 2010 (Bureau of Labor Statistics – BLS). The lowest 10% earned less than $71,420, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of computer and information systems managers is projected grow 18% between 2010 and 2020.
Management Information Systems Programs
- Flexible, 100% online programs offered include Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, and more.
- Courses designed to keep students updated on the constantly changing world of information technology.
- Career-focused programs taught by experienced professionals help students develop real-world programming skills.
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- MBA - Information Technology
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- IT Management - Bachelor's
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Business Intelligence
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Business Administration - Technology Management
- Master of Science in Management IT and Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - IT
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (MIT) - IT Project Management
- MBA - Project Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Project Management
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Information Processing
- Master of Science in Information Technology : Business Intelligence and Analytics
- Master of Science in Information Technology : Project Management
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Management Information Systems - D.B.A.
- Management Information Systems - MBA
- Management Information Systems - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- And more...
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- MBA Information Technology Management
- Mini MBA Certificate/Information Technology Management
- MBA Project Management