A marriage and family counseling degree is among those that are the cornerstone of mental health. One of the most needed workers in today’s world is those who are engaged in marriage and family counseling. When a marriage or family becomes dysfunctional it is vital that someone knowledgeable in the area step in. Being able to diagnose mental and emotional disorders in patients will be possible with a marriage and family counseling degree. It is wise for a graduate, going into a job, to consult with other experienced people. Often people who have been in the field for a long time can give excellent tips on how to handle certain situations. With this information, and their education, a licensed graduate would be able to counsel people regarding their problems and help work out a solution that will be satisfactory to all.
Marriage and Family Therapy Psychology Education and Training
Certain programs may require some classroom hours or practicum work but this is clearly explained when enrolling in the degree. When working in this field one receives the full confidence of the client, or clients, who will explain their problems in detail.
At times, if this involves an entire family, in which some of the participants may be reluctant to discuss their personal feelings. This will require a great deal of patience and insight in how to handle the situation. It is through training that a person is able to see through such situations, and offer advice, without becoming personally affected. Marriage and family counseling courses may include:
- Human growth and development
- Human sexuality
- Marriage and family systems
- Adolescent psychology
- Counseling theories
- Group therapy
- Principles of counseling
- Techniques of counseling
- Substance abuse
- Theories of psychotherapy
Masters degree in marriage and family therapy often fall under programs in counseling or psychology, and includes a minimum number of clinical or practicum hours. Subjects such as Child Development, Emotional Disorders, Small Group Intervention, Marriage and Family Situations, Child and Adolescent Counseling and others will be studied in the marriage and family counseling degree program. Licensing requirements vary from state to state with some licenses being available through the college involved.
Marriage and Family Counseling Careers
This career requires a master’s degree in diagnosing mental and emotional disorders as well as developing strategies to assist the people involved recover from their problems.
This kind of counseling often covers a wide range of issues. These could include people involved in disasters, family conflicts, crisis and other things. Often there are family conflicts that are very complex and extend to the criminal justice system.
This is a position where one is dealing with the emotions and often, deep distress, of the people being counseled. For people who like to assist others it is an excellent choice of careers. Some other areas of counseling include:
- Adolescent behavioral problems
- Substance abuse
- Domestic violence and abuse
- Marital difficulties
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The salary to be expected, by a graduate with a marriage and family counseling degree depends on the position. At the current time the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics reports: Marriage Counselor and Family Counselor, $43,210; Mental Health Counselor, $34,380 and Guidance Counselor, $47,530. These are beginning salaries and would increase over time.
The median annual wage of psychologists was $68,640 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $39,200 while the top 10 percent earned over $111,810. The overall employment of psychologists is expected to grow 22% between 2010 and 2020 (Bureau of Labor Statistics – BLS).
Job opportunities in this field are excellent. Due to stress, many families are under at the present time, more and more are seeking counseling. Counseling regarding behavior of young family members has also been in high demand recently, as well as marriage problems. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports job expectations to grow very fast through 2016.
Marriage and Family Therapy Programs
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- B.S. in Behavioral Health Science - Family Dynamics
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Degrees include BA in Psychology, BA in Applied Behavioral Science, MA in Psychology, and more.
- Courses focus on developing students’ understanding of the psychological factors involved in human behavior.
- Instruction designed to prepare students for various career paths, including careers in the mental health field, business, and law.
- Flexible online courses help students pursue their degree on their own schedule.
- BA/Cognitive Studies
- MA Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
Abilene Christian University is a national leader in Christian higher education and a place where students, faculty, staff and alumni make a real difference in the world.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.