This article discusses masters in education degree programs. A graduate degree in education might be a consideration for you if you enjoy helping students achieve their learning potential. The teaching profession encompasses both arts and sciences. To excel in teaching, there is need for them to have practical knowledge of the language as well as possess the ability to pass it to students in understandable way. A Masters in education degree is a program designed to instill such skills. It is important to note that different technologies and development are always coming up. Professionals in teaching are encouraged to take an active role to in upgrading their skills and knowledge. It makes it easier for them to dispense information in an easy to understand method and it allows them to simplify their methods of teaching.
Teaching and Education Preparation and Training
It is important to note that there are many different types of Master in Education degree. Some common programs include Master in Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Master in Education in Educational Technology, Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Master of Education in Elementary Education.
Any one of these programs can be pursued as full time, part time, distance learning or online courses. In addition, many masters in education degree programs also prepare their students to take the teaching certification degree required for teaching in all states’ public school systems.
Teaching courses and certification in specializations including ESL, special education, early childhood education, secondary education, etc. Some teaching degree courses might include pedagogy, classroom management, assessment and evaluation, teaching methodology, educational psychology, and instructional technology.
The online masters degree in education has been gaining in popularity among educationists as it is flexible. It makes it easier for teachers to study without them having to leave their job. It is possible for different professionals in teaching and school administration to pursue the program as well. The course is open for people in counseling, education technology, education policy, organizational leadership and special education.
To apply for a Masters in Education degree, one should make sure that they meet the basic requirements. This includes having a Bachelors degree from an accredited institution, coursework in subject areas required by the department and communication skills. It is also important to note that different institution might need more requirements when enrolling for the program.
Teaching Licensure and Certification
All states require teachers in public schools to be licensed, or certified (Bureau of Labor Statistics BLS). The requirements for certification vary by state but all states require at least a bachelor’s degree. For those who teach in private schools licensure may not be required, but may nonetheless be preferred.
- Each sate may require candidates to pass a teaching certification test, demonstrates their knowledge in the subject they will teach
- Teachers are often required to complete annual professional development classes to maintain their certificates
- Most states require teachers to pass a background check
- Some states require teachers to complete a master degree after receiving certification
- All states offer an alternative route to certification for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree but are missing education courses required for certification
- States also require students in teacher preparation programs to complete supervised experience in teaching earned through student teaching or teaching practicum
- Some states require a minimum grade point average
- With additional education or certification, teachers can work toward becoming school counselors, librarians, instructional coordinators, assistant principals or principals
Education and Teaching Careers
Different countries have different standards when it comes to employing professionals in education. In the United States, there are several states that require teachers to have a Masters in education. Pursuing such programs is associated with a wide range of benefits on a career of a teacher.
The importance for teachers and other professionals to develop their careers to the highest level cannot be underestimated. Education is one of the largest industries in many countries in the world. It also plays a very important role in building and developing economies. These reasons make it necessary to have the best qualified professionals practicing in the industry.
In addition to one gaining from developing professionally, a degree in Masters education can lead to an increase in salary. It also exposes one to a wide range of opportunities as it is much easier to get employment in different parts of the country. One also benefits from licensure renewal. Educators who have gone through the program are more confident in their role as teachers, instructors or trainers.With a masters in education degree some position are:
- Pre-school and kindergarten teachers
- Elementary school teachers
- Middle school teachers
- High School teachers
- Special education teachers
- School librarians
- Media specialists
- Educational technologists
- School counselors and school psychologists
- School nurses
- Principals and assistant principal
- University professors
- ESL teachers
- Career counselors
- Education researcher
- School textbook writers
- Educational consultants
- State Boards and state department officials
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
A masters degree in education is a good way for teachers to secure their services in the ever expanding industry. One is sure to enjoy a salary that is in proportion to their experience, education and years of service. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS reports the following median annual wage for 2010.
- Kindergarten teachers – $48,800
- Elementary school teachers – $51,660
- Middle school teachers – $51,960
- High school teachers – $53,230
- Special education teachers – $53,220
Employment of kindergarten, elementary, and middle school teachers is expected to grow by 17% from 2010 to 2020. For high school teacher the expected growth rate is 7% for the same period. With a masters in education degree and professional experience, the income tends to be higher.
Education and Teaching Programs
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Secondary Education
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- M.A. in Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Choose from over 200 online undergraduate and graduate programs designed to take you where you want to go.
- Online tuition rates at SNHU are frozen at 2012 levels for the fifth consecutive year.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- MA English
- MA English and Creative Writing - Poetry
- MA English and Creative Writing
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Social Studies
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction Equity, Ethics, and Justice
- M.Ed. in Curriculum & Instruction: Common Core State Standards Instructional Leader
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MEd - Reading Education
- Special Education - Master of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Master of Education
- And more...