This article discusses masters in education degree programs. A graduate degree in education might be a consideration for you if you enjoy helping students achieve their learning potential. The teaching profession encompasses both arts and sciences. To excel in teaching, there is need for them to have practical knowledge of the language as well as possess the ability to pass it to students in understandable way. A Masters in education degree is a program designed to instill such skills. It is important to note that different technologies and development are always coming up. Professionals in teaching are encouraged to take an active role to in upgrading their skills and knowledge. It makes it easier for them to dispense information in an easy to understand method and it allows them to simplify their methods of teaching.
Teaching and Education Preparation and Training
It is important to note that there are many different types of Master in Education degree. Some common programs include Master in Education in Curriculum and Instruction, Master in Education in Educational Technology, Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Master of Education in Elementary Education.
Any one of these programs can be pursued as full time, part time, distance learning or online courses. In addition, many masters in education degree programs also prepare their students to take the teaching certification degree required for teaching in all states’ public school systems.
Teaching courses and certification in specializations including ESL, special education, early childhood education, secondary education, etc. Some teaching degree courses might include pedagogy, classroom management, assessment and evaluation, teaching methodology, educational psychology, and instructional technology.
The online masters degree in education has been gaining in popularity among educationists as it is flexible. It makes it easier for teachers to study without them having to leave their job. It is possible for different professionals in teaching and school administration to pursue the program as well. The course is open for people in counseling, education technology, education policy, organizational leadership and special education.
To apply for a Masters in Education degree, one should make sure that they meet the basic requirements. This includes having a Bachelors degree from an accredited institution, coursework in subject areas required by the department and communication skills. It is also important to note that different institution might need more requirements when enrolling for the program.
Teaching Licensure and Certification
All states require teachers in public schools to be licensed, or certified (Bureau of Labor Statistics BLS). The requirements for certification vary by state but all states require at least a bachelor’s degree. For those who teach in private schools licensure may not be required, but may nonetheless be preferred.
- Each sate may require candidates to pass a teaching certification test, demonstrates their knowledge in the subject they will teach
- Teachers are often required to complete annual professional development classes to maintain their certificates
- Most states require teachers to pass a background check
- Some states require teachers to complete a master degree after receiving certification
- All states offer an alternative route to certification for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree but are missing education courses required for certification
- States also require students in teacher preparation programs to complete supervised experience in teaching earned through student teaching or teaching practicum
- Some states require a minimum grade point average
- With additional education or certification, teachers can work toward becoming school counselors, librarians, instructional coordinators, assistant principals or principals
Education and Teaching Careers
Different countries have different standards when it comes to employing professionals in education. In the United States, there are several states that require teachers to have a Masters in education. Pursuing such programs is associated with a wide range of benefits on a career of a teacher.
The importance for teachers and other professionals to develop their careers to the highest level cannot be underestimated. Education is one of the largest industries in many countries in the world. It also plays a very important role in building and developing economies. These reasons make it necessary to have the best qualified professionals practicing in the industry.
In addition to one gaining from developing professionally, a degree in Masters education can lead to an increase in salary. It also exposes one to a wide range of opportunities as it is much easier to get employment in different parts of the country. One also benefits from licensure renewal. Educators who have gone through the program are more confident in their role as teachers, instructors or trainers.With a masters in education degree some position are:
- Pre-school and kindergarten teachers
- Elementary school teachers
- Middle school teachers
- High School teachers
- Special education teachers
- School librarians
- Media specialists
- Educational technologists
- School counselors and school psychologists
- School nurses
- Principals and assistant principal
- University professors
- ESL teachers
- Career counselors
- Education researcher
- School textbook writers
- Educational consultants
- State Boards and state department officials
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
A masters degree in education is a good way for teachers to secure their services in the ever expanding industry. One is sure to enjoy a salary that is in proportion to their experience, education and years of service. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS reports the following median annual wage for 2010.
- Kindergarten teachers – $48,800
- Elementary school teachers – $51,660
- Middle school teachers – $51,960
- High school teachers – $53,230
- Special education teachers – $53,220
Employment of kindergarten, elementary, and middle school teachers is expected to grow by 17% from 2010 to 2020. For high school teacher the expected growth rate is 7% for the same period. With a masters in education degree and professional experience, the income tends to be higher.
Education and Teaching Programs
- Go Higher with a career-enhancing degree from Concordia Nebraska you can earn fully online. All our online programs are designed to give you the flexibility to study around your schedule.
- You'll also benefit from exceptional student support and a rigorous academic experience ranked in the top tier of U.S. News & World Report's Best Colleges 2016 Midwest Regional Universities.
- Concordia offers a wide variety of MBA program offerings in such fields as Accounting, Business Intelligence, Human Resources, Leadership and Managing, Management, Marketing and Risk Management
- Concordia also offers programs in the M.Ed field specializing in Early Childhood Development, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Administration, and Special Education
- As an institution, Concordia University, Nebraska is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of its North Central Association
- Concordia University, Nebraska is an excellent academic and Christ-centered community equipping men and women for lives of learning, service and leadership in the church and world.
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction with ESL/ELL Emphasis
- M.Ed. In Curriculum and Instruction with Instructional Technology Leadership Emphasis
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction
- And more...
- Our online EdD program allows you to choose from nine specializations to focus your learning on your interests and goals.
- Benefit from our 24/7 tech support, Writing Center, Career Services Center, and more.
- Walden is the choice for more than 100 state teachers of the year.
- Research your passion. Select your own doctoral study topic and research what interests you.
- Learn how you can immediately make a positive impact on your school or district.
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching Adults in the Early Childhood Field
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Early Childhood Public Policy and Advocacy
- M.S. in Early Childhood Studies - Teaching and Diversity in Early Childhood Education
- And more...
- Advance to the next level of your academic career - earn your Master's in Education online with GCU.
- Earn a master's in educational administration, elementary education, autism spectrum disorders and more – Take your pick!
- Integrate philosophy with real-world knowledge to implement strategies that provide critical thinking.
- The dedication to your success extends beyond the classroom and into a professional educational setting.
- Incorporate modern pedagogy through a student-driven learning concept and technology.
- M.Ed. in Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education-ITL
- M.Ed. in Master of Education in Early Childhood Education and Early Childhood Special Education-NITL
- M.A. in Reading with an Emphasis in Elementary Education
- And more...
- 100% online degrees include Master of Arts in Teaching, Master of Science in Education, and more.
- Students and faculty are encouraged to engage in a collaborative learning environment that promotes personal and professional growth.
- All faculty are professionals in the field of education, with PhD or EdD qualifications.
- Programs are designed to help educators at every level sharpen their teaching skills.
- MS in Education (for Existing Teachers Grades K-12)
- MA in Teaching (for Aspiring Teachers Grades 5-12)
- Earn your Master of Arts in Teaching and teaching credential online from nationally ranked USC Rossier.
- The same selective admissions standards as students in the on-campus programs.
- Hands-on fieldwork which students complete in their own communities, classrooms, or organizations.
- Dedicated student support from matriculation through graduation, including USC’s global alumni network.
- Master of Arts in Teaching
- One of the first fully online M.Ed. programs to be accredited by TEAC (Teacher Education Accreditation Council)
- Courses within 6 distinct education specializations use real-world deliverables aligned with industry-specific objectives
- Specializations include elementary education, secondary education instructional design and technology and more
- AIU’s M.Ed. uses a proprietary adaptive learning engine to provide individualized content delivery not available at this scale in other online programs at this time.
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Secondary Education
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Leadership of Educational Organizations
- Master's (M.Ed.) - Elementary Education
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Education
- Master of Arts: Teaching
- Master of Science in Higher Education - College Teaching
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MEd - Reading Education
- Special Education - Master of Education
- Instructional Leadership - Master of Education
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Leadership Coaching and Mentoring
- Master of Arts in Organizational Leadership - Coaching and Mentoring