The masters in emergency management degree is one that prepares graduates for a host of careers in areas like emergency preparedness instructor and director of security among other areas. Emergency management, also known as disaster management, dealings with and avoiding risks. It involves preparing for disaster before it occurs, disaster response for example emergency evacuation, quarantine, mass decontamination. With emergency management training you can enhance your career as an emergency program manager, emergency preparedness instructor, emergency operations center chief, security expert, risk management expert, and hospital coordinator. Consider the disaster situation that was without someone keeping things in under control. Think about what might happen to a large group of people during an emergency situation if someone was not there to take charge and lead the way. This type of leadership comes from the person that has taken the necessary courses to get their masters in emergency management.
Emergency Management Training and Education
The emergency management courses and knowledge you will need to obtain this position include those surrounding local, state, and federal laws. Some classes might be similar to those required for the criminal justice career to obtain this knowledge. You will have many hands on training courses to prepare you mentally and physically for this type of work. Indeed, you should be strong at heart and emotionally fit to succeed in the face of some disaster situations.
Basic class instruction will include those classes for general history and math, psychology and sociology, English and writing, and foreign languages. While these may seem the same as general educational requirements for other less lucrative careers, they are needed in many situations just the same.
Being prepared in every way in many areas is what this degree is all about. Specific courses may include instruction in areas like crisis management, emergency management, and risk management, homeland security emergency preparedness and response, and public health. Other courses may include:
- Emergency Management Operations Frameworks
- Hazard Analysis and Mitigation
- Combating Man-made Disasters
- Weather and Natural Hazards Planning
- Operations Planning and Management
Emergency and Crisis Management Careers
The role of an emergency manager has indeed become popular and many people are gearing their educational studies towards a career surrounding this type of work. You can learn about the schools offering courses you will need to succeed by going online. Expect to take classes like risk management, ethical theory, hazard analysis coupled with mitigation and sustainability, and chemical and physical sciences. You should also expect additional courses that help you to understand human resources and human psychology in a crisis.
Some careers in this field go hand in hand with military operations during specific types of disasters. Some courses you will take will be for being to operate efficiently in these situations as well. The cultural environment you may be in will also be a part of your studies for this career. Students may also be asked to join in actual field operations for hands experience they will need for the future.
Securing a position once you have earned your masters in emergency management degree can be found through many local, state, and federal agencies. You can find positions in law enforcement centers, medical facilities, and in organizations like FEMA and IAEM. The position you can have upon graduation will be one of the greatest importance to those experiencing traumatic and frightening emergencies.
Considering the number of crisis situations that have occurred worldwide in just the past decade, those interested in this career should not worry about locating secure employment after graduation. In fact, the baby boomer age is coming closed to retiring and many of those positions will need to be filled concerning managing emergencies. Check online for the career opportunities that are available for those interested in taking charge during a disaster or serious public crisis.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Those students interested in getting their masters in emergency management might consider volunteering with local fire and police departments while they are still in high school. There are many programs available to teens for this reason and the experience and knowledge you get during those times can be a great deal helpful later in this career choice.
The income range for someone with an emergency management degree ranges from $25,700 to $80,800 with a median income of $47,400. According to salary.com, the median expected salary for a Emergency Services Director in the United States is $107,339.
Disaster, Emergency, Crisis Management Programs
- Choose from over 200 online undergraduate and graduate programs designed to take you where you want to go.
- Online tuition rates at SNHU are frozen at 2012 levels for the fifth consecutive year.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- MS in Criminal Justice: Advanced Counterterrorism & Homeland Security concentration
- MS in Criminal Justice
- Offers associate and bachelor-level programs in Criminal Justice.
- Program topics include criminal investigation processes and ethics, criminal law, juvenile justice and more.
- A B.A.S. in Criminal Justice program is also available for students who already possess an A.A.S.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Master of Science in Criminal Justice, and more.
- Advanced degrees in criminal justice help working professionals stay up to date on the latest law enforcement practices.
- Some programs offer the opportunity for hands-on experience working on real criminal cases.
- Flexible online and campus-based programs available.
- MS in Homeland Security and Emergency Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Leadership/Executive Management
- MS in Criminal Justice - Global Issues in Criminal Justice
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Criminal Justice - Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Homeland Security
- Master of Science in Management - Homeland Security
- And more...