What is a good incentive to consider a masters in information technology? What are the trends in the field that would help you make a decision to advance in the field? Technology and business have become very much interconnected and the most lucrative opportunities are hybrid positions, which specialize in using technology to realize, surpass business goals. A masters degree in information technology program focuses on the design of technological information systems. This includes computing systems used as solutions to business and research data and communications support needs. Coursework includes databases, principles of computer hardware and software components, algorithms, human interface design, telecommunications, user tactics, and application testing.
Information Technology Education and Training
Training for the digital and network security curriculum includes classes in basic computing, mathematics, and science. Courses in the master’s degree in manufacturing include the study of business administration, management, and industrial engineering techniques.
With master’s degrees in information technology you would take classes in business and management, project management, and communications. Other information technology courses are: computer networking, hardware, software, operating systems, information security, cyber security and database administration.
Courses in the master’s degree in technology management program include accounting, finance, business decision models, management of technology, managerial economics, operations management, marketing strategies, organizational behavior, business statistics, strategic management, emerging technologies, etc. While courses vary by specialization, common programs also include:
- Enterprise Architecture
- Object-Oriented Systems Analysis and Design
- Business Process Management
- Web-Based Application Design
- IT Policy
Careers in Information Technology
With masters in information technology, you have many career options that include information systems analyst, computer programmer, network administrator, data administrator, and information management analyst. Master’s degrees in digital and network security prepare students to work in positions they are responsible for strategic planning, software and hardware updates and upgrades, and protecting databases.
Positions include information technology project manager, information consultant, software engineer, developer, programmer, computer networking system engineer, and information technology specialist, etc.
Computer scientists perform complex tasks that are related research and theory in various areas of computing and information technology. Digital and network security professionals are tasked with protecting individuals and public and private entities form cybercrime and the related damage.
With a masters degree in information systems, you will be qualified for a management position in information systems. In this position, you’ll be responsible for directing your company’s IT infrastructure so that it meets your company’s technological and business needs.
With a masters in information technology in you would implement and upgrade hardware and software, set up a secure network and design and operate any web sites that your company requires. There are also management positions for narrower fields like networking operations, security and project management.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
According to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), the median annual wage of computer and information systems managers was $115,780 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $71,420, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of computer and information systems managers is projected grow 18% from 2010 to 2020.
Information technology careers are expected to grow steadily over the next decade, and those with an advanced degree or training and experience are likely to earn more and with a masters in information technology, it is possible to hold positions of management and administration.
Computer Science and Information Technology Programs
- Choose from over 200 online undergraduate and graduate programs designed to take you where you want to go.
- Online tuition rates at SNHU are frozen at 2012 levels for the fifth consecutive year.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- MS Information Technology - Database Design
- MS Information Technology - Web Design
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Data Analysis
- And more...
- Flexible, 100% online programs offered include Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, and more.
- Courses designed to keep students updated on the constantly changing world of information technology.
- Career-focused programs taught by experienced professionals help students develop real-world programming skills.
- MS in Information Technology
- MS in Management - Information Technology
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
- Master of Science in Information Technology - Network Management
- Master of Science in Computer Science
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Master of Science in Information Technology /Database Administration
- Master of Science in Information Technology /Enterprise Resource Planning
- MBA Cybersecurity
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
- Information Systems - Master's