This article contains some important facts about the MBA in accounting degree program. Students that have an interest in becoming an accountant should consider the education they may need for being successful. Through the education and training you get while acquiring the degree you need, you will learn many facets of finance and other parts of analytical thinking that will further your career choices. Use this information as a guide in learning what you can do with an MBA in accounting. Many online schools offer the courses for getting a degree necessary for being an accountant. If you are considering a career as an accountant and business administrator and are investigating positions for graduates, it is a good idea to look online at possible areas of employment and concentration.
Accounting Education and Training
Accounting is one of the areas is business management and administration that continues to see a high demand for professionals. A second option that one can pursue is to take the masters in accounting, which is often referred to as MSc in accounting. Program requirement for each program may vary depending on the route one chooses to take.
In the accounting degree program you should plan to take courses like business law, business communications, macro economics and micro economics, elementary statistics, marketing, and intermediate statistics. Getting your Masters in Business Administration will also require you take related courses as well like human psychology and English. Courses may include:
- Operations management
- Forensic accounting
- Fraud examination
- Taxation law
- Applied Managerial Accounting
Once you have your accounting MBA, you might think about taking additional courses for continuing educational purposes. Many things change from year to year in the world of business and remaining on top of it and up to date on the latest is the best way for you to make better money. Check online frequently for those issues you would like to retrain for or learn more about.
Careers with an Accounting MBA
Opportunities available to those with a Masters Degree in Business Administration are great. Many large companies need managers in their human resources department while you might also find employment the payroll departments of businesses. Some positions include:
- Public accountant
- Internal auditor
- Forensic accountant
- Management accountant
Some people start their own businesses for accounting and make an excellent salary through obtaining their own clients. Many of these clients may need their business taxes done or maybe their personal taxes as well. The jobs open to those with accounting degrees and experience is on the rise.
The financial side of any business is indeed a vital part of its maintenance. You might also think about the employment you might find in major banks and other financial institutions as well. Keep in mind these types of positions while going to school and select additional courses for math and calculation that would help you in the future. Discussing these types of courses with school advisers can help you to make the right choices.
Licensing and Certification
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports the following Certification and Licensing information:
Most accountants and auditors positions need one to have at least a bachelor’s degree in accounting or a related field. Certification within a specific field of accounting for example forensic accounting or auditing also improves job prospects. An example is the Certified Public Accountants (CPAs) qualification. Certifications include:
- The Institute of Management Accountants – Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- The Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) – Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) to graduates from accredited colleges and universities with 2 years work experience as internal auditors and have passed a four-part exam. The IIA also offers the Certified in Control Self-Assessment (CCSA), Certified Government Auditing Professional (CGAP), and Certified Financial Services Auditor (CFSA) to those who pass the exams and meet educational and experience requirements.
ISACA – the Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
- The American Institute of CPAs (AICPA) – For accountants with a CPA. An option to receive any or all of the Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV), Certified Information Technology Professional (CITP), or Personal Financial Specialist (PFS) certifications.
All accountants filing reports with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) are required by law to be a Certified Public Accountant (CPA). Many employers may also have this requirement.
CPAs are licensed by their state’s Board of Accountancy after meeting requirements that may include passing a national exam and meeting other requirements such as completing 150 semester hours of college credit (30 hours above the 4-year bachelor’s degree). Some programs offer a 5-year combined bachelor’s and master’s degree to meet the 150-hour requirement, but a master’s degree is not required.
All states use the four-part Uniform CPA Examination from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants. Candidates do not have to take and pass all four parts at once, but a general requirement is to pass all four parts within 18 months of passing their first part. Most states require CPAs to take continuing education to maintain their license.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
You might wonder what the top salary is for an accountant. This amount depends on the experience you have and where you work at. While some people make an average of $50,000 a year some others have been known to make close to $70,000 a year. The salary you end up making will be determined by how hard you work and how ambitious you are.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that the median annual wage of accountants and auditors was $61,690 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $38,940 and the top 10% earned more than $106,880. The employment of accountants and auditors is expected to grow 16% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks was $34,030 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $21,270 and the top 10% earned more than $51,470. The employment of bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks is expected to grow 14% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of tax examiners and collectors, and revenue agents was $49,360. The lowest 10% earned less than $29,540 and the top 10% earned more than $92,250. The employment of tax examiners and collectors, and revenue agents is expected to grow 7% from 2010 to 2020.
The need for those people great with numbers and figures is growing. Many public and government offices have opening for those with a degree in accounting. These are positions that are going to most likely last well into the future.
Going to school for your MBA in accounting can be a great move towards a secure financial future. Those students that love numbers, are good at math, and have no trouble with challenges should check into the accounting positions they would love the most.
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Accounting - Government Specialization
- MS in Accounting - Tax Specialization
- MS in Accounting - Finance Specialization
- And more...
- The Master of Professional Accounting program is specifically designed to meet the educational requirements of the Certified Public Accountant (CPA) examination.
- Prepare for a leadership role in public accounting, corporate accounting, government accounting, and other fields.
- Stay abreast of changes to financial laws and regulations with a program that is regularly revised by industry experts to keep pace with current trends.
- Students in the Master of Professional Accounting program get access to Wiley CPAexcel’s Video Gold Medal Course at a significant discount to fully prepare for the CPA exam.
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- Master - Professional Accounting
- Graduate Specialization - Accounting
- Master in Finance
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Science in Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- MA Accountancy
- MBA - Finance
- Go Higher with a career-enhancing degree from Concordia Nebraska you can earn fully online. All our online programs are designed to give you the flexibility to study around your schedule.
- You'll also benefit from exceptional student support and a rigorous academic experience ranked in the top tier of U.S. News & World Report's Best Colleges 2016 Midwest Regional Universities.
- Concordia offers a wide variety of MBA program offerings in such fields as Accounting, Business Intelligence, Human Resources, Leadership and Managing, Management, Marketing and Risk Management
- Concordia also offers programs in the M.Ed field specializing in Early Childhood Development, Curriculum and Instruction, Educational Administration, and Special Education
- As an institution, Concordia University, Nebraska is accredited by The Higher Learning Commission and is a member of its North Central Association
- Concordia University, Nebraska is an excellent academic and Christ-centered community equipping men and women for lives of learning, service and leadership in the church and world.
- MBA - Master of Business Administration - Accounting
- MBA - Master of Business Administration - Finance
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Finance
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Accountancy with a concentration in General Accounting
- Master of Business Administration, MBA - Accounting
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Science: Accounting
- Master of Science : Accounting - Finance Specialization
- Master of Science : Accounting - Government Specialization
- And more...
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)
Baker College is proud to be the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available. With one of the highest graduate employment rates in the country, our mission is to help our students find meaningful employment.
At Baker College, you’ll have the opportunity to choose between an on campus education or an online education, depending on what works best for you and for your schedule. Our ground campuses are located across Michigan and one campus in Reading, Pennsylvania.
- Accounting - MBA (Master's)
- Finance - MBA (Master's)