Learn more about the degrees at music production schools and start a career in the music production and recording industry. Music has a way to move you. It is very useful in movies to create moments that will either leave you in suspense or swell the emotions the actors are feeling inside you. Music production colleges are where you can get the degree to create the next hit single or soundtrack. If this is your passion this might be the degree for you. There are different ways you can use your music production degree. If you love movies you know the effects a great song can have. Going to school will help you to learn the equipment you will use and how you can be successful at production. Music production training programs prepare students for entry-level positions in sound engineering, music recording, television and film production, MIDI production, and studio work.
Music Recording Education and Training
A few areas you may study at music production schools would be live sound reproductions, audio for video or audio recording. You can learn how to mix several different recordings to create one great sound. This is how many people record their hit singles. They may have several different voices and instruments all recorded at different times. Your job is to mix them and blend them to sound great as one.
One thing you will learn is how to mix the sounds together. Depending on the genre you pick you will work with those who have been in the industry. You can learn how to mix properly and how to work the type of equipment you will have because there are so many different sound boards and technology that goes into making a song these days.
Students gain practical skills and knowledge in digital audio equipment, software, and analog technology. Music production courses may include: Applied Acoustics, Operation of Audio Equipment, Electronics, Business Management, Marketing, and Music Technology. Other music production courses are:
- Music management
- Production techniques
- Electronic music production
- Music business management
- Sound engineering techniques
Music Production and Recording Careers
This is a great field to pursue and is something that will always be needed. The forms have changed over the years but the love for the end result has stayed the same. Nothing can evoke the emotions that a great song can.
Graduates from music production schools will gain skills into aid them in obtaining employment in audio production business management, audio technical work in radio, television, film, and theater. This leads to careers in: music publishing consulting, record production, sound system installation, and record companies.
You may also work with musicians and singers when working in the music industry. There are many different duties you will have when working in the music production industry. You will wear many hats such as scheduler for sessions and budgeting. Music production careers may encompass:
- Recording engineer
- Sound technician
- Studio assistant
- Assistant audio engineer
Typically you will over see the entire production of the sound. From planning times with the artists to the finished product you will have your hand in it. People skills are something that is a benefit to have in this business. You will deal with all different types of people on a daily basis.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The career outlook for graduates of music production schools is about average. The competition is very stiff in this business and you should know that before hand. It can be hard to get into the more popular fields of music. You must be talented as well as ready to work hard. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that the employment of broadcast and sound engineering technicians is expected to grow 10% between 2010 and 2020.
Entry-level income can range from $20,000 to $40,000 a year depending on the particular field one works and the location. Top earning career audio production specialists may earn up to $75,000 a year. Median figures reported for 2010 by the BLS were:
- Sound engineering technicians – $47,080
- Audio and video equipment technicians – $40,540
- Broadcast technicians – $35,120
Pursuing your career in this field is a great option but is very competitive and takes hard work. You must be ready to be dedicated and patient and work possibly harder than you ever have. Making it in this business takes all this and more. With credentials from music production schools, you can be successful if you try hard.
Music Production Programs
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Audio Production (BS)
- Digital Filmmaking & Video Production (BS)
- Video Skills (D)
- Music Production, Bachelors of Science (Online)
- Audio Production Bachelors (Online)
- Music Business, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Arts in Film & TV - Producing
- Master of Arts in Film & TV - Script Writing
- Master of Fine Arts in Film & TV - Script & Screenwriting
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Business Administration - New Media/Internet Marketing
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Business Development
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Internet Marketing