Nonprofit management degrees focus on the business side of running non-profit organizations (NPOs) and non-governmental organizations (NGOs). Nonprofit businesses and organizations generally are those with a specific tax designation, but in popular usage, the term might be used to describe governmental agencies. Nonprofit organizations can include religious, scientific, education or charitable function within their scope of influence. They also work with social and health services, cultural development and human rights advocacy. The organizations are often tax-exempt. Often, donations of grant money have a top percentage that can be used for administration. Sometimes funds received in grants must be matched through community support. Management of nonprofit businesses courses are offered by many universities, colleges and schools. Coursework for nonprofit management is helpful to demonstrate all the obligations for legal and public aspects of the field.
Nonprofit Management Education and Training
In order to have a career in this field, the graduate must plan on obtaining experience and education in public policy, taxation, business, legal issues and communications. Nonprofit management degree programs are structured in many ways identical to degrees in management of for-profit businesses. Nonprofit management training may include courses in areas like:
- Grant Writing and Grant Management
- Nonprofit Governance
- Program Monitoring and Evaluation
- Public Policy Advocacy and Social Change
- Financial Management
- Fundraising and Funds Management
Because the level of education and experience for profit and non-profit businesses are so similar, the expectations of course material completed are also similar. Although a bachelor’s degree in business administration is a minimum level of education in most positions of responsibility is important, the majority of successful managers continue on to obtain graduate level courses and certification.
Nonprofit Management Careers
Non-profit businesses often are funded through public donations and grants. There is close monitoring of expenses for these organizations, since part of the stipulations for operational approval is that all proceeds beyond necessary operational costs must be used for the stated purpose of the organization.
Nonprofit managers can find work in NGOs, environmental, health care, religious, cultural education facilities, and various grassroots organizations in politics, civic education, and civic participation. The roles and responsibilities can be in financial administration, marketing, information technology or other tasks within the organization. Nonprofit management certification is available for some specialties and may assist in finding suitable jobs in the field.
These special characteristics of public or non profit corporation managers mean that there must be so additional steps taken in the effective and accurate management of the business. Strict financial accountability is one unique feature that is necessary. Managers of non profit organizations must arrange for the publicity and coordination for fund raising. Often volunteer labor is used to do much of the work for the organization. These people must be recruited and organized.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Projection of job growth in management positions is expected to be at about the same rate as growth in other professions. This should hold true for non-profit management jobs. In fact, there may be a shift between public and private sector management jobs because of the economic crisis. This could be partially offset by the desire to cut spending by government agencies and organizations.
In 2008, median annual earnings for managers was nearly $100,000 although starting salaries for other positions pay between $20,000 and $50,000 annually. The range will depend upon the type of nonprofit industry in which the individual is employed and how successful the organization is at fundraising.
The public interest and needs fluctuate significantly over time and as the interests change or expand. Nonprofit management degrees therefore provide graduates with the skills and knowledge to run the financial and management side of the organization.
Non-Profit Management Programs
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Doctor of Management - Non Profit Leadership
- Master of Science in Management - Public Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Public Administration
- And more...
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- BA/Service Management - Non-Profit Enterprise
- BA/Public Administration
- MA/Organizational Management
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Public Administration - Governmental Management
- Master of Public Administration - General MPA
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
- 100% online format, with no fixed class times, means you can earn your degree at your pace, on your schedule, while still working full-time.
- Monthly term starts and accelerated 8-week courses so that your ideal course schedule can fit around your other commitments.
- The B.S. in Business Management program draws from the areas management, marketing, operations, and finance.
- Through various case studies and discussions with your classmates and faculty, you will be able to apply the theories and best practices you are learning to real-world business situations.
- 84% of our faculty members hold terminal degrees. In addition to their academic training, instructors have years of experience working in their field
- Every instructor has been specially trained in the technology and teaching methods that work best in CSU-Global’s 100% online learning environment.
- Bachelors in Business Management
- Master of Management
- Undergraduate Specialization - Small Business and Entrepreneurship
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MS Organizational Leadership - Public Administration
- General Business - D.B.A.
- MBA - Building Creativity
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Public Administration
- Master of Public Administration : General MPA
- Master of Public Administration : Governmental Management
- And more...
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
- Bachelor of Science: Business Administration: Communications
- Bachelor of Science: Business Administration: Marketing Analytics
- Bachelor of Science: Business Administration: Public Administration
- And more...