A doctorate in education might be a consideration for you if you enjoy helping people learn, as well as working in research or educational administration. Regardless of whether you are considering completing your education, the traditional route by attending a university or opting to take online courses it is important that you take the time to review all the requirements necessary in order to get into the course that you are interested in. If considering online courses remember to investigate them as much as you would institution that you have to go to everyday. You’ll want to ensure that they are accredited and that there are actual professors with a good reputation and a great deal of experience available to you should you have questions regarding your course material.
Education Preparation and Training
In many cases, completing your education will take approximately two to five years however; this time frame may be different for some students depending on what type of education degree they are looking to get. It’s a good idea to get letters of recommendation from previous instructors or and professional references who can vouch for you as you compare different PhD degrees in education.
Though the overall requirements may vary slightly by PhD education program, depending on where you are enrolled, many educational institutions require you to complete all of your course work with high standards as well as conduct research and submit a research project known as the thesis that shows that they are able to do their own research and have an understanding of solid understanding of that which they are studying. Some areas of specialization include special education, educational leadership, educational technology, secondary education, early childhood education, and counselor education.
With the PhD education degree, you can explore both the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or Doctor of Education (EdD) You will want to register to take a graduate record exam since these are often required for admission into a program.
Like many higher education programs receiving a PhD in education can be costly however the end product is certainly worth it for most students. Depending on where you are located many PhD education programs offer partial coverage of the cost.
It’s also a good idea to investigate which scholarships and graduate assistantships may be available to you for the specific type of PhD training you are pursuing. Take the time to do a little research and ask local institutions about different funding options available for you. Some areas of concentrations are:
- Special Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Instructional Technology
- Educational Technology
- Instructional Design
- Adult Education
- Educational Leadership
- Educational Administration
- Higher Education Administration
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Science Education
- Math Education
- Social Studies
Given the broad variety of specializations that are offered in the education PhD, program approaches will vary, but overall you can expect to take coursework at the beginning of your program of study. This will likely include research methodology courses in both qualitative and quantitative research as well as research design, readings and foundations in your field, as well as various doctoral seminar courses. This is often followed by comprehensive exams and the final phase would require students to work on and complete their dissertation on an original topic.
Education and Teaching Careers
Getting a PhD in Education Degree will allow you to teach others in various settings such as public or private schools working at an administrative level, universities, professional associations, nonprofit organizations along with other education related fields.
If you enjoy traveling, you may consider teaching in a foreign country, which is becoming ever popular among those with education degrees, as the need for teachers seems to continue growing especially as countries are becoming more and more aware of the importance of having an education. For many new graduates of PhD education degrees, teaching at international schools is very rewarding allowing them to experience other cultures while they work.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
When you complete your PhD education, it is estimated by the national salary data sources that most people with a degree will make a salary that ranges from $40,000 to $90,000 depending on whether you have opted to take a position as an assistant professor, professor, associate professor, director of a program, school superintendent, a teacher for school or university or a Dean of a University. PhD education will therefore give you the flexibility to enhance your professional experience while keeping your job.
Education and Teaching Programs
- Choose from over 200 online undergraduate and graduate programs designed to take you where you want to go.
- Online tuition rates at SNHU are frozen at 2012 levels for the fifth consecutive year.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- Education and Teaching Doctoral Degree
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Distance Learning
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...