Masters in counseling psychology programs and related areas prepare graduates for careers in psychology, human services, social work, etc. Many people wonder, why study counseling masters degree. There is no set answer to this question but consider how large the field is. At the moment there are so many different types of counselors that offer assistance to those with mental health issues, family, educational and the list continues. This career is extremely important because without its existence it is likely that people would continue to suffer and not receive the help that they need. You will find that the areas you study within degree will vary depending on the institution that you choose. However, in most courses you may find that you cover multicultural counseling, various counseling techniques, career counseling and much more.
Counseling Education and Training
In order to enroll in the online counseling masters degree program, you need to have a certificated undergraduate education. This varies across countries but typically involves completing school and college education, resulting in a bachelor’s degree.
Often people wonder why you require both bachelors and masters, this is because the latter is normally needed in order to receive licensing and certification. Not all areas require you to hold a certificate, the license is however necessary in most circumstances.
Online counseling courses may include counseling theory, therapeutic intervention strategies, patient-counselor relationships, group therapy, marital and family therapy, testing and assessment methodology and procedures, child and adolescent therapy, supervised counseling practice, ethical standards, and regulations. Prior to enlisting in online counseling masters degree programs, you are likely to possess several general skills and this degree will help to enhance them.
It is important in the world of counseling to be able to communicate well with other colleagues and especially patients. Also you need to be highly self motivated, having take the time to complete a master will show this to an extent, reliable and be prepared to be patient. Licensure requirements vary by state and occupational specialty. Many states require school counselors to have a state school counseling certification.
Careers in Counseling
Once you have obtained your degree there are many options open to you. For instance, you may decide to work as a mental health counselor, rehabilitation or marriage counselor depending on which area you chose to specialize in. There is the opportunity to even open up your own private practice with a one or a couple of other trained counselors.
Counselors work in diverse settings with variety of counseling, rehabilitation, and support services. They work with children, adolescents, adults, or families that have issues, like mental health disorders, addiction, careers, school, and trauma.Counselors assist others with personal, family, educational, mental health, and career problems. Some career paths are:
- Marriage and family counseling
- Guidance and career counseling
- Mental health counseling
- Substance abuse counseling
- Rehabilitation counseling
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
As for the salary, once successfully completed your qualification, this depends on your level of expertise, experience and the area that you have chosen to specialize in. However, on average you will probably find yourself on average earning around $40,000.
If you decide to go into private practice then your earning may become much higher and in some case exceed $100,000. This is because each client is charged a fee and depending on the quality of service or expertise the price will increase. The Bureau of Labor Statistics provides the following data based on 2010 reports:
Median annual wage of substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors – $38,120. Employment of substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors is expected to grow by 27% between 2010 and 2020.
Median annual wage of school and career counselors – $53,380. Employment of school and career counselors is expected to grow by 19% between 2010 and 2020.
Median annual wage of rehabilitation counselors – $32,350. Employment of rehabilitation counselors is expected to grow by 28% between 2010 and 2020.
Median annual wage of mental health counselors – $38,150. Median annual wage of marriage and family therapists – $45,720. Employment of mental health counselors is expected to grow by 36% between 2010 and 2020.
The growth of this profession is consistently increasing and this is due to the large demand of people requiring professional help. You will probably find that this is due to a much larger population now than in the post, partly because of more people surviving illness and living longer lives. This is one of the reasons why the online counseling masters degree became available, in order to help cope with the high demand.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Master's Degree in Psychology: Designed for the Working Adult
- Flexibility: We offer convenient online or evening programs to fit your schedule.
- Variety: Choose from General Psychology or an emphasis in Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- Programs focus on the development of critical thinking and leadership qualities, as they apply to your profession.
- Degrees designed for individuals who desire promotion and/or continued academic exposure in the field of psychology.
- Speak with an enrollment counselor today & decide which program interests you!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Choose from over 200 online undergraduate and graduate programs designed to take you where you want to go.
- Online tuition rates at SNHU are frozen at 2012 levels for the fifth consecutive year.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- MS Political Science
- Master of Science in Psychology - Forensic Psychology
- MS Psychology
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- MAMFT - LGBTQ Couple and Family Therapy
- MAMFT - Medical Family Therapy
- Marriage & Family Therapy - Master of Arts
- And more...