Masters in counseling psychology programs and related areas prepare graduates for careers in psychology, human services, social work, etc. Many people wonder, why study counseling masters degree. There is no set answer to this question but consider how large the field is. At the moment there are so many different types of counselors that offer assistance to those with mental health issues, family, educational and the list continues. This career is extremely important because without its existence it is likely that people would continue to suffer and not receive the help that they need. You will find that the areas you study within degree will vary depending on the institution that you choose. However, in most courses you may find that you cover multicultural counseling, various counseling techniques, career counseling and much more.
Counseling Education and Training
In order to enroll in the online counseling masters degree program, you need to have a certificated undergraduate education. This varies across countries but typically involves completing school and college education, resulting in a bachelor’s degree.
Often people wonder why you require both bachelors and masters, this is because the latter is normally needed in order to receive licensing and certification. Not all areas require you to hold a certificate, the license is however necessary in most circumstances.
Online counseling courses may include counseling theory, therapeutic intervention strategies, patient-counselor relationships, group therapy, marital and family therapy, testing and assessment methodology and procedures, child and adolescent therapy, supervised counseling practice, ethical standards, and regulations. Prior to enlisting in online counseling masters degree programs, you are likely to possess several general skills and this degree will help to enhance them.
It is important in the world of counseling to be able to communicate well with other colleagues and especially patients. Also you need to be highly self motivated, having take the time to complete a master will show this to an extent, reliable and be prepared to be patient. Licensure requirements vary by state and occupational specialty. Many states require school counselors to have a state school counseling certification.
Careers in Counseling
Once you have obtained your degree there are many options open to you. For instance, you may decide to work as a mental health counselor, rehabilitation or marriage counselor depending on which area you chose to specialize in. There is the opportunity to even open up your own private practice with a one or a couple of other trained counselors.
Counselors work in diverse settings with variety of counseling, rehabilitation, and support services. They work with children, adolescents, adults, or families that have issues, like mental health disorders, addiction, careers, school, and trauma.Counselors assist others with personal, family, educational, mental health, and career problems. Some career paths are:
- Marriage and family counseling
- Guidance and career counseling
- Mental health counseling
- Substance abuse counseling
- Rehabilitation counseling
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
As for the salary, once successfully completed your qualification, this depends on your level of expertise, experience and the area that you have chosen to specialize in. However, on average you will probably find yourself on average earning around $40,000.
If you decide to go into private practice then your earning may become much higher and in some case exceed $100,000. This is because each client is charged a fee and depending on the quality of service or expertise the price will increase. The Bureau of Labor Statistics provides the following data based on 2010 reports:
Median annual wage of substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors – $38,120. Employment of substance abuse and behavioral disorder counselors is expected to grow by 27% between 2010 and 2020.
Median annual wage of school and career counselors – $53,380. Employment of school and career counselors is expected to grow by 19% between 2010 and 2020.
Median annual wage of rehabilitation counselors – $32,350. Employment of rehabilitation counselors is expected to grow by 28% between 2010 and 2020.
Median annual wage of mental health counselors – $38,150. Median annual wage of marriage and family therapists – $45,720. Employment of mental health counselors is expected to grow by 36% between 2010 and 2020.
The growth of this profession is consistently increasing and this is due to the large demand of people requiring professional help. You will probably find that this is due to a much larger population now than in the post, partly because of more people surviving illness and living longer lives. This is one of the reasons why the online counseling masters degree became available, in order to help cope with the high demand.
- Earn your Master of Arts in Counseling online from Northwestern in 18 months. No GRE Required.
- Northwestern’s faculty and placement team work closely with students to select clinical field sites based on each student’s location.
- With participating classmates across the nation, students build relationships with a diverse group of peers and learn from unique perspectives during live group sessions.
- Students participate in live, weekly classes instructed by Northwestern’s faculty, who also work as counselors and present real cases in the classroom.
- Master of Arts in Counseling
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Marriage, Couple & Family Counseling
- Master of Arts in Human Services Counseling
- And more...
- There's still time to apply to Grand Canyon University and pursue your education. Learn more today!
- Study on your schedule - GCU offers many programs 100% online to fit your busy lifestyle.
- GCU offers a variety of opportunities to reduce the cost of furthering your education. Campus students may qualify for scholarships, while online students can take part in limited special offers.
- A regionally accredited university, GCU also holds specialized accreditations and approvals for some of our core program offerings.
- Degrees in business, education, nursing, humanities and social sciences, theology and more. Find the degree that fits you.
- Talk to us today to learn more about financial aid and start dates!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- MS in Psychology - General Psychology
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- M.A. in Counseling
- M.A. Psychology
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.