A doctorate in education might be a consideration for you if you enjoy helping people learn, as well as working in research or educational administration. Regardless of whether you are considering completing your education, the traditional route by attending a university or opting to take online courses it is important that you take the time to review all the requirements necessary in order to get into the course that you are interested in. If considering online courses remember to investigate them as much as you would institution that you have to go to everyday. You’ll want to ensure that they are accredited and that there are actual professors with a good reputation and a great deal of experience available to you should you have questions regarding your course material.
Education Preparation and Training
In many cases, completing your education will take approximately two to five years however; this time frame may be different for some students depending on what type of education degree they are looking to get. It’s a good idea to get letters of recommendation from previous instructors or and professional references who can vouch for you as you compare different PhD degrees in education.
Though the overall requirements may vary slightly by PhD education program, depending on where you are enrolled, many educational institutions require you to complete all of your course work with high standards as well as conduct research and submit a research project known as the thesis that shows that they are able to do their own research and have an understanding of solid understanding of that which they are studying. Some areas of specialization include special education, educational leadership, educational technology, secondary education, early childhood education, and counselor education.
With the PhD education degree, you can explore both the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) or Doctor of Education (EdD) You will want to register to take a graduate record exam since these are often required for admission into a program.
Like many higher education programs receiving a PhD in education can be costly however the end product is certainly worth it for most students. Depending on where you are located many PhD education programs offer partial coverage of the cost.
It’s also a good idea to investigate which scholarships and graduate assistantships may be available to you for the specific type of PhD training you are pursuing. Take the time to do a little research and ask local institutions about different funding options available for you. Some areas of concentrations are:
- Special Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Instructional Technology
- Educational Technology
- Instructional Design
- Adult Education
- Educational Leadership
- Educational Administration
- Higher Education Administration
- Curriculum and Instruction
- Science Education
- Math Education
- Social Studies
Given the broad variety of specializations that are offered in the education PhD, program approaches will vary, but overall you can expect to take coursework at the beginning of your program of study. This will likely include research methodology courses in both qualitative and quantitative research as well as research design, readings and foundations in your field, as well as various doctoral seminar courses. This is often followed by comprehensive exams and the final phase would require students to work on and complete their dissertation on an original topic.
Education and Teaching Careers
Getting a PhD in Education Degree will allow you to teach others in various settings such as public or private schools working at an administrative level, universities, professional associations, nonprofit organizations along with other education related fields.
If you enjoy traveling, you may consider teaching in a foreign country, which is becoming ever popular among those with education degrees, as the need for teachers seems to continue growing especially as countries are becoming more and more aware of the importance of having an education. For many new graduates of PhD education degrees, teaching at international schools is very rewarding allowing them to experience other cultures while they work.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
When you complete your PhD education, it is estimated by the national salary data sources that most people with a degree will make a salary that ranges from $40,000 to $90,000 depending on whether you have opted to take a position as an assistant professor, professor, associate professor, director of a program, school superintendent, a teacher for school or university or a Dean of a University. PhD education will therefore give you the flexibility to enhance your professional experience while keeping your job.
Education and Teaching Programs
- The Doctor of Education (EdD) program helps students hone research and scholarly writing skills in preparation for their doctoral study or dissertation.
- EdD students may choose from nine specializations, including Early Childhood Education, Special Education, Higher Education Leadership and Management, and more.
- Students in the EdD program may progress at their own pace by choosing between the Traditional and Fast Track options.
- PhD in Education - Early Childhood Special Education
- Doctor of Education - Early Childhood Education
- Doctor of Education - Special Education
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management Higher Education Teaching and Learning
- Doctor of Management Private Sector Higher Education Leadership
- Advance to the next level of your academic career - earn your Master's in Education online with GCU.
- Earn a master's in educational administration, elementary education, autism spectrum disorders and more – Take your pick!
- Integrate philosophy with real-world knowledge to implement strategies that provide critical thinking.
- The dedication to your success extends beyond the classroom and into a professional educational setting.
- Incorporate modern pedagogy through a student-driven learning concept and technology.
- Ph.D. in Organizational Leadership with an Emphasis in Special Education
- Ed. S. in K-12 Leadership
- Concordia pursues online learning with the same passion and commitment to excellence that has marked our 110-year history. Our online degrees provides the same high academic standards as our on-campus
- #1 in M.Ed Degrees awarded by a Non-Profit University with over 8,000 M.Ed degrees that have been awarded to Concordia Online Students (Based on 2013-2014 IPEDS data); #3 MBA Program in Oregon (2015)
- Your diploma and transcript is exactly the same as what students receive from Concordia’s on-campus program and carries the same value as a traditional degree
- Concordia offers a variety of scholarships, grants, and awards designed to make the cost of a quality liberal arts education more affordable. Military benefits are available to candidates who qualify
- Concordia offers outstanding student-focused support including technical support and student service teams to assist you from initial contact through graduation.
- Concordia University is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Educational Administration (EDD)
- M.Ed. in Curriculum and Instruction - Educational Technology Leadership
- Ed.D. - Professional Leadership, Inquiry, and Transformation
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- General Education - Doctor of Education
- E-Learning - EdS
- International Education - EdS
- And more...
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment
- Doctor of Philosophy in Education, Distance Learning