If you study for a psychology doctorate, you will have great career outlooks for the future. Employment in counseling and psychology generally require a minimum of a master’s degree, with a PhD or PsyD in Psychology being a standard requirement for careers in clinical psychology. Because of the fact that this is available online, many people are studying for their degree online, because they can continue daily work and pay for their studies. You will find something in the field that will suit your personality and needs as a prospective professional.
Psychology Education and Training
Clinical and counseling psychology careers are some of the fastest growing fields in psychology in the United States. In order to get advance in your area of specialization, you will need to consider an accredited psychology PhD or other related doctoral program. Psychology programs offer a variety other concentrations including educational, organizational and sports psychology. Students interested in the application of psychology to business can also earn a doctoral degree in psychology with a focus on industrial or organizational psychology.
If you are planning to become a school psychologist then you must study to get a masters degree so that you can earn your doctorate. This will take around three years of studying and one year that you need to do your internship. Through your studies, you will learn about different social modification programs, social programs and more.
You will also have to work at least for a year as an intern in order to get your degree before you can think about getting a doctorate. In addition completing a dissertation or thesis is standard for research PhD programs, including most online psychology doctorate programs.
Most countries require that a psychologist have a master’s degree or doctorate before they will issue you with a license to start your own practice. Some online psychology doctorate courses may include:
- Social psychology
- Developmental psychology
- Adolescent psychology
- Child psychology
- Cognitive psychology
- Psychology of personality
- Physiological psychology
- Research methods in psychology and statistics
Psychologists are generally required to hold master’s, specialist, or doctoral degree in psychology. In addition, practicing psychologists are also required to have a license or certification. In addition, psychologists who practice independently are required to be licensed (Bureau of Labor Statistics – BLS).
School psychologists are required to be licensed or certified, as per the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). In addition, The American Board of Professional Psychology awards certification in 13 areas of psychology including clinical health, couple and family, psychoanalysis, and rehabilitation (BLS).
Careers in Psychology
As a psychologist, you will be able to specialize in more than one direction. You can choose a career from a forensic psychologist, school psychologist, and clinical as well as criminal psychologist. All of these careers promise to give you give you job satisfaction no matter which one you choose. Your job as psychologist will be to listen to the problems of your patients, to evaluate their nature and personalities as well as doing ongoing research to find solutions to the cases that you have.
You will motivate others and lift their spirits. This is the one job where people will rely on you for advice and guidance and if you do not have the necessary knowledge and confidence to help them you might end up destroying someone’s life. If you want to specialize in this field, you need to have a strong personality but still show empathy towards the problems of your patients.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
If you have your psychology doctorate, you can expect a salary from around $50,000 per year. The average clinical psychology salary was $63,935 in 2008. The average income ranges from $40,000 to $120,000 based on the sector of practice. You can definitely earn much more as you progress through studying more. The place and field that you work in will strongly influence your salary.
A clinical psychologist can expect the above for a salary but the moment you start specializing in the forensic or criminal direction you will likely earn more. An online psychology doctorate is a good option if you are analytical and like to help others.
Pyschology Doctorate Programs
- Several institutional scholarship opportunities are available to students who qualify.
- Features several learning model options, including online, residency, and hybrid options.
- Offers graduate degree programs in organizational leadership, mind-body medicine, psychology and human science.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- Two teaching locations in Seattle, Washington with the university headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Ph.D. Psychology
- Ph.D. Psychology, Psychophysiology Specialization
- Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Doctor of Psychology in Clinical Psychology
- Ph.D. in Counselor Education & Supervision
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.