What are the requirements for an online teaching degree? What information is necessary for teaching certification and licensure? Teaching certification and licensure are two different things. When you hear the word “license”, that generally means a document issued by a state giving a person permission to practice within that state. “Certification” is a national criteria rather than a state one. For instance, one may be licensed to teach elementary education and certified to teach CPR. There is a great need for qualified teachers. There seems to be a lack of teachers specifically in the areas of special education, math and science. Those with a degree or endorsement in such areas will tend to have their choice of where they want to work as opposed to being forced to go somewhere just because the choices for their skills are limited. In fact, grants and scholarships are pushing for more educators in those specific fields by offering funds that make the education process much easier.
Teacher Education and Training
There are a variety of ways to get licensed as a teacher in the K-12 education environment, including campus and online online teaching degree programs. Each person who works in the educational field should choose an area that they have an interest in and excel at. Elementary school teachers generally enjoy a variety of subjects as well as working with younger children. Someone with a specialized interest, such as chemistry or mathematics may enjoy teaching on the high school or adult level.
The training and education is going to differ for each area of interest and the online teaching degree requirements will vary. Most states require a minimum of a bachelor degree in order to earn a license to teach.
Other states may require a master degree. Along with the degree, educators are required to have classroom experience in the form of supervised student teaching. They are also required to take specific tests that will assess their knowledge in the subject area they are earning the degree in.
Once the coursework in the online teaching degree program is complete and the tests have been taken, the student will sit for the licensure exam if it is required by the state. Otherwise, they may simply apply for licensure through their state. Keep in mind that some states also allow a transferring of licenses, but other require more in the way of formal education before a license can be transferred from one state to another.
Licensure and Certification
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) indicates that all states require teachers in public schools to be licensed, or certified. The requirements for certification vary by state but all states require at least a bachelor’s degree. For those who teach in private schools licensure may not be required, but may nonetheless be preferred.
- Each sate may require candidates to pass a teaching certification test, demonstrates their knowledge in the subject they will teach
- Teachers are often required to complete annual professional development classes to maintain their certificates
- Most states require teachers to pass a background check
- Some states require teachers to complete a master degree after receiving certification
- All states offer an alternative route to certification for those who already hold a bachelor’s degree but are missing education courses required for certification
- States also require students in teacher preparation programs to complete supervised experience in teaching earned through student teaching or teaching practicum
- Some states require a minimum grade point average
- With additional education or certification, teachers can work toward becoming school counselors, librarians, instructional coordinators, assistant principals or principals
Education and Teaching Careers
By and large, the campus and online teaching degree as well as teaching certification and licensure prepares professionals to be able to pass their knowledge on in such a way as to make it easily understood and to induce a need to learn more. Being a licensed teacher means that you have gone the extra mile and made a choice to be a part of the educational community beyond the campus or online teaching degree. It’s a profession as well as a lifestyle.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Teachers work roughly 180 days a year. They must be prepared not just to educate, but to induce parent cooperation, work within the parameters of the facility they are employed by and present themselves in such a way as to be a compliment to their community and profession. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The BLS reports the following median annual wage for 2010.
- Kindergarten teachers – $48,800
- Elementary school teachers – $51,660
- Middle school teachers – $51,960
- High school teachers – $53,230
- Special education teachers – $53,220
Employment of kindergarten, elementary, and middle school teachers is expected to grow by 17% from 2010 to 2020 while that of high school teachers is expected to be 7% (BLS). There is always going to be a need for licensed teachers. There are private institutions, public schools and tutoring positions opening up on a regular basis. The coming retirement of the baby boomers is also going to leave gaps in the educational system that need to be filled.
Licensed teachers can also look at alternative plans, such as developing curricula, lesson plans and an array of other services where having a license to teach is an indication of useful skills. These are topics that are often covered in online teaching degree programs.
Online and Distance Education Programs
- Education programs include BA in Education Studies, BA in Child Development, and MA in Education.
- Students can specialize in areas such as Education and Public Policy, Instructional Design, and Early Childhood Education.
- Courses cover concepts such as phonics, curriculum development, instruction for English language learners, and more.
- Flexible, online courses allow students to pursue a degree on their own schedule.
- MA/Education - Exceptional Systems for Revolutionizing Education
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to the Right Early Childhood Education, ESL/TESOL, Special Education, Education Leadership and Administration, and Curriculum and Instruction Degree Program for YOU.
- Affordable and Flexible Education and Teaching Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Education and Teaching Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
Liberty University provides a world-class education with a solid Christian foundation, equipping men and women with the values, knowledge, and skills essential for success in every aspect of life.
A liberal arts institution with 16 colleges and schools, Liberty offers programs in fields such as medicine, religion, law, aviation, cinematic arts, psychology, business, and more. Part of the Big South Conference, Liberty fields 20 NCAA Division I athletic teams and 32 Club Sports teams, offering fans an unparalleled college sports experience.
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
The USC School of Social Work works with selected agencies and organizations across the country that represent the complete range of social services. This provides MSW@USC students the opportunity to apply what they learn in class and a chance to work with real-life clients in the community.
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017