Personal training schools prepare you to turn something you love into a career! If you enjoy working out and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, there you are already halfway there. Personal trainers work either independently as private consultants or through health clubs as individual and group trainers. Personal training is the perfect career for those who are self-motivated and loves motivating others. Personal trainers assess fitness levels and help their clients work out a fitness regimen to help them safely achieve their personal goals in fitness. Personal trainers work in a gyms, health clubs, spas, cruise ships. The hours are flexible and may include nights and weekend work. As people become increasingly health-conscious, the need for qualified and trained personal trainers continues to grow. Learn more about personal training careers and what it takes to be certified in order to practice in the profession. Personal training involves more than just the physical aspect of training, but also related topics in nutrition and health, as well as current topics in the health industry for example research.
Personal Training Education
Personal trainers are often required to obtain certification in personal training, weight training or aerobics instruction. Certifications and generally good for two years, and can be maintained by attending continuing education classes at personal training schools. Some personal trainers obtain a bachelor’s degree in exercise science, physical education or a related field but others receive training from a career college or fitness institute.
Most trainers or instructors require certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) before applying for certification, as reported by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Various organizations offer certification, so check with the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) – Institute for Credentialing Excellence for a list of accredited certifying organizations. While no specific education or training is required for certification, courses may include:
- Flexibility Training
- Healthy Eating Habits
- Effective Exercise Selection
- Starting a Successful Personal Training Business
Personal Trainer Careers
Personal trainers work in a many environments including gyms, health clubs and sports clubs, spas, cruise ships, colleges and universities. The work hours are flexible but may include early mornings, nights and weekends. Personal trainers begin by assessing the fitness levels of their clients and then helping them work out a fitness regimen to help them achieve their personal health and wellness goals.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Upon graduating from personal training college, you can can expect to earn between $7.09 and $26.22 an hour. As people become more health-conscious, the need for qualified and trained personal trainers will continue to grow. The median annual wage of fitness trainers and instructors was $31,090 in 2010 according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), with an expected employment growth rate of 24% between 2010 and 2020.
Sports Fitness and Nutrition Programs
- Earn your online degree from SNHU. Study Anytime, Anywhere. Flexible on your schedule
- Over 200 career-focused online programs, one of the lowest tuition rates in the nation and a network of support.
- Southern New Hampshire University. Private. Nonprofit. Accredited.
- MS Sport Management
- MS Sport Management - Certificate in International Sport Mgt
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Nutrition Science
- AAS in Business Administration - Health Club Operations
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Healthcare Management
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Master's Healthcare Management
- Summarize the roles, functions, and impacts of an effective healthcare manager.
- Evaluate existing research using quantitative statistical tools to assist in healthcare management decision making.
- Identify, evaluate, and respond to common types of healthcare ethical dilemmas.
- Describe the value of personal and professional development, community service, and life-long learning in healthcare management.
- Evaluate the impact of information systems and technology on healthcare processes and the securing of health information.
- Analyze the strategic impact of human resource development and management on healthcare organizations.
- Graduate Specialization - Healthcare Administration
- Master - Healthcare Administration and Management
- BS - Healthcare Administration and Management
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Nursing: Nursing Leadership in Health Care Systems
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Sports Management - Doctor of Education
- Sports Management - Master of Education
- Sports Management - PhD in Education
- And more...
- Veterinary Assistant
We Change Lives...One Person At A Time. ® Start your career education with Daymar College Online. We offer certificate, diploma, associate, and bachelor's degree programs for careers in the business, medical, legal, and computer technology fields. Our programs offer hands-on education and classroom discussions.
- Medical Assisting - Administrative, Associates Degree