Personal training schools prepare you to turn something you love into a career! If you enjoy working out and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, there you are already halfway there. Personal trainers work either independently as private consultants or through health clubs as individual and group trainers. Personal training is the perfect career for those who are self-motivated and loves motivating others. Personal trainers assess fitness levels and help their clients work out a fitness regimen to help them safely achieve their personal goals in fitness. Personal trainers work in a gyms, health clubs, spas, cruise ships. The hours are flexible and may include nights and weekend work. As people become increasingly health-conscious, the need for qualified and trained personal trainers continues to grow. Learn more about personal training careers and what it takes to be certified in order to practice in the profession. Personal training involves more than just the physical aspect of training, but also related topics in nutrition and health, as well as current topics in the health industry for example research.
Personal Training Education
Personal trainers are often required to obtain certification in personal training, weight training or aerobics instruction. Certifications and generally good for two years, and can be maintained by attending continuing education classes at personal training schools. Some personal trainers obtain a bachelor’s degree in exercise science, physical education or a related field but others receive training from a career college or fitness institute.
Most trainers or instructors require certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) before applying for certification, as reported by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Various organizations offer certification, so check with the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) – Institute for Credentialing Excellence for a list of accredited certifying organizations. While no specific education or training is required for certification, courses may include:
- Flexibility Training
- Healthy Eating Habits
- Effective Exercise Selection
- Starting a Successful Personal Training Business
Personal Trainer Careers
Personal trainers work in a many environments including gyms, health clubs and sports clubs, spas, cruise ships, colleges and universities. The work hours are flexible but may include early mornings, nights and weekends. Personal trainers begin by assessing the fitness levels of their clients and then helping them work out a fitness regimen to help them achieve their personal health and wellness goals.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Upon graduating from personal training college, you can can expect to earn between $7.09 and $26.22 an hour. As people become more health-conscious, the need for qualified and trained personal trainers will continue to grow. The median annual wage of fitness trainers and instructors was $31,090 in 2010 according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), with an expected employment growth rate of 24% between 2010 and 2020.
Sports Fitness and Nutrition Programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Nutrition Science
- AAS in Business Administration - Health Club Operations
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
Established in 1897, Bradley University is a private, independent institution of higher learning in Peoria, Illinois. Inspired by our founder, notable philanthropist Lydia Moss Bradley, we pursue excellence in teaching, research, scholarship and service; and we celebrate leadership, integrity, diversity and collaborative learning. Today, we offer an impressive array of more than 130 undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs across five colleges and the Graduate School.
- Ready to Start Your Career? Get More Info From Fortis Today.
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
Get personalized attention with UMA.
One-on-one tutoring, pre-interview coaching, job search assistance, alumni services-they’re all included in Ultimate Medical Academy’s competitively priced tuition. As a nationally accredited school, we provide quality career training online and at our two campuses in the Tampa Bay area of Florida. Let’s talk about your needs, your career goals and how UMA can help you succeed.
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.