Personal training schools prepare you to turn something you love into a career! If you enjoy working out and maintaining a healthy lifestyle, there you are already halfway there. Personal trainers work either independently as private consultants or through health clubs as individual and group trainers. Personal training is the perfect career for those who are self-motivated and loves motivating others. Personal trainers assess fitness levels and help their clients work out a fitness regimen to help them safely achieve their personal goals in fitness. Personal trainers work in a gyms, health clubs, spas, cruise ships. The hours are flexible and may include nights and weekend work. As people become increasingly health-conscious, the need for qualified and trained personal trainers continues to grow. Learn more about personal training careers and what it takes to be certified in order to practice in the profession. Personal training involves more than just the physical aspect of training, but also related topics in nutrition and health, as well as current topics in the health industry for example research.
Personal Training Education
Personal trainers are often required to obtain certification in personal training, weight training or aerobics instruction. Certifications and generally good for two years, and can be maintained by attending continuing education classes at personal training schools. Some personal trainers obtain a bachelor’s degree in exercise science, physical education or a related field but others receive training from a career college or fitness institute.
Most trainers or instructors require certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) before applying for certification, as reported by the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Various organizations offer certification, so check with the National Commission for Certifying Agencies (NCCA) – Institute for Credentialing Excellence for a list of accredited certifying organizations. While no specific education or training is required for certification, courses may include:
- Flexibility Training
- Healthy Eating Habits
- Effective Exercise Selection
- Starting a Successful Personal Training Business
Personal Trainer Careers
Personal trainers work in a many environments including gyms, health clubs and sports clubs, spas, cruise ships, colleges and universities. The work hours are flexible but may include early mornings, nights and weekends. Personal trainers begin by assessing the fitness levels of their clients and then helping them work out a fitness regimen to help them achieve their personal health and wellness goals.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Upon graduating from personal training college, you can can expect to earn between $7.09 and $26.22 an hour. As people become more health-conscious, the need for qualified and trained personal trainers will continue to grow. The median annual wage of fitness trainers and instructors was $31,090 in 2010 according to the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), with an expected employment growth rate of 24% between 2010 and 2020.
Sports Fitness and Nutrition Programs
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Health Care Administration, Bachelor of Science in Health and Wellness, Master of Health Care Administration, and more.
- Students learn from instructors with experience in the health care field.
- Capstone projects and clinical practicums that can help prepare students for more career opportunities.
- Flexible, online and on-campus program available.
- BS in Nutrition Science
- AAS in Business Administration - Health Club Operations
- MS Sport Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Sports Management - Doctor of Education
- Sports Management - Master of Education
- Sports Management - PhD in Education
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Medical Assistant
- Healthcare Management
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Emergency Medical Services - Associate's
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Healthcare Technology - Associate of Occupational Science