This article looks at retail management courses and degrees including retail merchandising, sales, and marketing. Do you think you have what it takes to sell someone a product whether they need it or not? Are you someone who loves working and talking to new people each and every day? Are you someone who is a leader and feels you can manage a team of employees? Retail management is the sale by a seller in small quantities to customers. It is the process of bringing the user to the main producer, through a series of stages, where retailing is the last stage. If you have answered yes, you may want to consider a retail management degree. degree in retail management gives you the practical training you need to effectively manage a retail operation. Retail Management offers positions like Retail Store Manager, Retail Area Manager and Retail Assistant Store Manager.
Retail Management Education and Training
Students in retail management programs should have good people skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities. This a degree in retail management can help you develop the skills needed to become a successful sales manager, and can prepare you for your future career in retail sales, purchasing management, and retail management.
A degree in retail merchandising field is designed to help you work in roles of leadership in the industry of retail shops and stores. There are many 2-year colleges or universities that offer students degrees in this field, and there are also 4-year colleges as well.
Some of the retail management courses that you are going to be concentrating on in this program include: Computer Applications in Business, Principles of Retailing, Advanced Marketing, and Introduction to Accounting, Principles of Economics, Specialty Merchandising, Fashion Merchandising, Small Business Management, and Business Communications. Other courses might include:
- Personnel Management (Human Resource Management)
- Marketing Strategies
- Inventory Management
- Supply Chain Management
For this type of position, there are many employers that like you to have a Bachelors degree or even a Masters. Other courses that many be beneficial to you include business law, mathematics, and statistics.
You may also be required to complete an internship while taking your retail management courses and completing the program. This is so when you graduate you can begin your career and have the knowledge of how things work. You are going to need some computer skills as well, and customer service skills are a must.
Retail Merchandising Careers
Retail managers have some of the most important jobs, and you can expect to have a career waiting for you by the time you graduate with your diploma. Major department stores are always looking for managers and this industry is booming each and every year. You are going to be presented with some of the most wanted opportunities out there. Some positions might include:
- Visual Merchandiser
- Retail Sales Manager
- Retail Buyer
- Fashion Buyer
The job description of a retail manager is to run a store or department in order to meet the requirements of a company’s policies. The goal of a manager is to find ways to increase a company’s profit while keeping costs to a minimum. You are going to be responsible for promotional things and making sure they are accurate. Also, depending on the size of the store you are managing, you in some cases will be required to deal with customer service, finance, human resources, and marketing as well.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The earnings of a store manager can all depend on the amount of experience you have as well as some other factors. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), you can expect to make a median salary of $97,260. Earnings vary widely as again it depends on the store’s size you are working in as well as your education and training.
The median hourly wage of retail salespersons was $9.94 in 2010 (BLS). The lowest 10% earned less than $7.75, and the top 10% earned more than $18.54. The employment of retail salespersons is expected to grow 17% from 2010 to 2020.
The more training and experience you have, the more money you are going to make over the years. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics is predicting this career field and industry to grow at an average rate. It’s expected to increase about 13% by the year 2018, and should be a great field for those who graduate with retail management courses.
Retail Management and Marketing Programs
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- BA/Service Management - Mass-market Retail Enterprise Management
- BA/Public Relations and Marketing
- BA/Sports and Recreation Management - Marketing
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Retail Management
- BS in Business Administration - Marketing
- MBA - Marketing
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Marketing
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Marketing
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Business Development
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Marketing
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
- Full Sail’s curriculum combines elements of creativity, art, business and life skills, technical prowess, and academic achievement.
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average.
- Students work with industry-standard tools and technologies, allowing them to gain practical knowledge and real-world experience.
- Join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Instagram to interact with our community, read about grad success, and see campus images.
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!