This article looks at retail management courses and degrees including retail merchandising, sales, and marketing. Do you think you have what it takes to sell someone a product whether they need it or not? Are you someone who loves working and talking to new people each and every day? Are you someone who is a leader and feels you can manage a team of employees? Retail management is the sale by a seller in small quantities to customers. It is the process of bringing the user to the main producer, through a series of stages, where retailing is the last stage. If you have answered yes, you may want to consider a retail management degree. degree in retail management gives you the practical training you need to effectively manage a retail operation. Retail Management offers positions like Retail Store Manager, Retail Area Manager and Retail Assistant Store Manager.
Retail Management Education and Training
Students in retail management programs should have good people skills, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities. This a degree in retail management can help you develop the skills needed to become a successful sales manager, and can prepare you for your future career in retail sales, purchasing management, and retail management.
A degree in retail merchandising field is designed to help you work in roles of leadership in the industry of retail shops and stores. There are many 2-year colleges or universities that offer students degrees in this field, and there are also 4-year colleges as well.
Some of the retail management courses that you are going to be concentrating on in this program include: Computer Applications in Business, Principles of Retailing, Advanced Marketing, and Introduction to Accounting, Principles of Economics, Specialty Merchandising, Fashion Merchandising, Small Business Management, and Business Communications. Other courses might include:
- Personnel Management (Human Resource Management)
- Marketing Strategies
- Inventory Management
- Supply Chain Management
For this type of position, there are many employers that like you to have a Bachelors degree or even a Masters. Other courses that many be beneficial to you include business law, mathematics, and statistics.
You may also be required to complete an internship while taking your retail management courses and completing the program. This is so when you graduate you can begin your career and have the knowledge of how things work. You are going to need some computer skills as well, and customer service skills are a must.
Retail Merchandising Careers
Retail managers have some of the most important jobs, and you can expect to have a career waiting for you by the time you graduate with your diploma. Major department stores are always looking for managers and this industry is booming each and every year. You are going to be presented with some of the most wanted opportunities out there. Some positions might include:
- Visual Merchandiser
- Retail Sales Manager
- Retail Buyer
- Fashion Buyer
The job description of a retail manager is to run a store or department in order to meet the requirements of a company’s policies. The goal of a manager is to find ways to increase a company’s profit while keeping costs to a minimum. You are going to be responsible for promotional things and making sure they are accurate. Also, depending on the size of the store you are managing, you in some cases will be required to deal with customer service, finance, human resources, and marketing as well.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The earnings of a store manager can all depend on the amount of experience you have as well as some other factors. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), you can expect to make a median salary of $97,260. Earnings vary widely as again it depends on the store’s size you are working in as well as your education and training.
The median hourly wage of retail salespersons was $9.94 in 2010 (BLS). The lowest 10% earned less than $7.75, and the top 10% earned more than $18.54. The employment of retail salespersons is expected to grow 17% from 2010 to 2020.
The more training and experience you have, the more money you are going to make over the years. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics is predicting this career field and industry to grow at an average rate. It’s expected to increase about 13% by the year 2018, and should be a great field for those who graduate with retail management courses.
Retail Management and Marketing Programs
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- MBA - Marketing
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Marketing
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Business Development
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Master of Business Administration : Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration : Marketing
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Marketing
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Music Business, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Culinary Management (BS)
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Online MS in Supply Chain Management
Turn your passion for food into a career at the Culinary Institute of Virginia.
- Food Service Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Logistics Management