A sales degree will prepare you for employment and career advancement in firms that emphasize the sale and marketing of products and services to consumers, businesses, and industries. As a graduate you may pursue opportunities in sales management, marketing, advertising, retail management, and marketing research. Many organizations employ sales and marketing professionals to manage the production, pricing, distribution, and promotion of goods and services. Professionals work in service oriented institutions like those involved in financial services, insurance, consulting, industry, government etc. Opportunities include working as a first line store supervisor, assistant store manager, retail manager, and purchasing manager or agent. Responsibilities may include supervising employees, purchase goods, coordinating store budgets and accounting management.
Marketing and Sales Training and Education
Some of the aspects of sale degrees and online retail management courses include communication, sales techniques, marketing, reasoning, psychology, business law, business ethics, creating sales plans, quality management, and more. This area is closely related to marketing, and you will find that most of the sales degree courses around combine sales, marketing, and business training and information in order to provide you with a well-balanced sales education. Courses may consist of:
- Business Ethics
- Business Law
- Business Communication and Writing
- Internet Business Models and E-Commerce
- Principles of Marketing
- Book Keeping
- Sales Techniques
- Foundations of Retailing
Sales training can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few years, taking a variety of online sales courses. Mid-career job changers can also enjoy the benefits of a sales and marketing career by combining core courses in communication, critical thinking, and problem solving with concentrations in technology or finance.
Careers in Sales and Retail Management
Sales is a challenging yet rewarding career in business. It is also an important profession because without the right kind of sales and marketing, businesses can succeed for long. Even though product knowledge and business skills are very important, sales jobs also require a certain personal skills sets including leadership, socialization, and self-motivation, attention to detail, and organizational skills. The most successful retail sales professionals are outgoing, extroverted, friendly, knowledgeable, and approachable.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
In the last few decades, the economy has shifted away from manufacturing and into service. Therefore sales and marketing professionals now play a major role in helping consumers select the sources for their goods and services. Because most sales personnel are compensated based on performance, experts can earn significant salaries and commissions.
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the median annual salary for a sales manager about $78,000.For first-line supervisors of retail sales people, annual earnings are about $17.00 an hour or around $35,000 a year. General and operations managers make about $50.00 a year or around $104,000, while purchasing managers make about $82,00 a year or $41.00 an hour. Many sales jobs are also commission-based, boosting the income of sales people.
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) for 2010 was reported as follows for careers related to sales and marketing:
The median annual wage for advertising sales agents was $45,350. The lowest 10% earned less than $22,780 and the top 10% earned more than $96,040. The employment of advertising sales agents is expected to increase 13% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of sales managers was $98,530. The lowest 10% earned less than $49,960, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of sales managers is expected to grow 12% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of advertising and promotions managers was $83,890. The lowest 10% earned less than $41,480, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of advertising and promotions managers is expected to grow 13% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage for marketing managers was $112,800. The lowest 10% earned less than $57,750, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of marketing managers is expected to grow 14% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of market research analysts was $60,570. The lowest 10% earned less than $33,350, and the top 10% earned more than $111,440. The employment of market research analysts is expected to grow 41% from 2010 to 2020.
With companies battling for the best salespeople, government analysts expect the demand for skilled, experienced sales and marketing managers to grow faster than the average for all other jobs in the next decade. Specializing in niche fields can help a sales and marketing manager earn even more money.
Sales Management and Marketing Programs
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Business Development
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Marketing
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Marketing
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration : Marketing
- Master of Business Administration : Marketing
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Bachelor of Science in Business with a Concentration in Marketing
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, Marketing, and more.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Leadership Studies
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Information Technology
- Master of Public Administration in Public Leadership
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
- DIP - Business Office Specialist
CBT College has a vast variety of degrees that cater to any individual’s interest or schedule. Choose to complete your degree from our School of Business, School of Technology, School of Allied Health, School of Modern Arts or the School of Languages. Our applied teaching approach and hands on training, prepare students to become dominant figures in the global marketplace.
- Office Management
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Business Administration - Associate of Occupational Science
A Rutgers business education prepares students for success – not just in their chosen fields but also in their lives. From our comprehensive undergraduate courses to our highly rated MBA program, a Rutgers education is a life-changing experience that gives the student the skills and knowledge to compete globally while broadening their appreciation for how the world works. Many describe it as one of the most rewarding experiences of their lives – professionally and personally.
- Master of Governmental Accounting (Online)