A sales degree will prepare you for employment and career advancement in firms that emphasize the sale and marketing of products and services to consumers, businesses, and industries. As a graduate you may pursue opportunities in sales management, marketing, advertising, retail management, and marketing research. Many organizations employ sales and marketing professionals to manage the production, pricing, distribution, and promotion of goods and services. Professionals work in service oriented institutions like those involved in financial services, insurance, consulting, industry, government etc. Opportunities include working as a first line store supervisor, assistant store manager, retail manager, and purchasing manager or agent. Responsibilities may include supervising employees, purchase goods, coordinating store budgets and accounting management.
Marketing and Sales Training and Education
Some of the aspects of sale degrees and online retail management courses include communication, sales techniques, marketing, reasoning, psychology, business law, business ethics, creating sales plans, quality management, and more. This area is closely related to marketing, and you will find that most of the sales degree courses around combine sales, marketing, and business training and information in order to provide you with a well-balanced sales education. Courses may consist of:
- Business Ethics
- Business Law
- Business Communication and Writing
- Internet Business Models and E-Commerce
- Principles of Marketing
- Book Keeping
- Sales Techniques
- Foundations of Retailing
Sales training can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few years, taking a variety of online sales courses. Mid-career job changers can also enjoy the benefits of a sales and marketing career by combining core courses in communication, critical thinking, and problem solving with concentrations in technology or finance.
Careers in Sales and Retail Management
Sales is a challenging yet rewarding career in business. It is also an important profession because without the right kind of sales and marketing, businesses can succeed for long. Even though product knowledge and business skills are very important, sales jobs also require a certain personal skills sets including leadership, socialization, and self-motivation, attention to detail, and organizational skills. The most successful retail sales professionals are outgoing, extroverted, friendly, knowledgeable, and approachable.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
In the last few decades, the economy has shifted away from manufacturing and into service. Therefore sales and marketing professionals now play a major role in helping consumers select the sources for their goods and services. Because most sales personnel are compensated based on performance, experts can earn significant salaries and commissions.
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that the median annual salary for a sales manager about $78,000.For first-line supervisors of retail sales people, annual earnings are about $17.00 an hour or around $35,000 a year. General and operations managers make about $50.00 a year or around $104,000, while purchasing managers make about $82,00 a year or $41.00 an hour. Many sales jobs are also commission-based, boosting the income of sales people.
Data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) for 2010 was reported as follows for careers related to sales and marketing:
The median annual wage for advertising sales agents was $45,350. The lowest 10% earned less than $22,780 and the top 10% earned more than $96,040. The employment of advertising sales agents is expected to increase 13% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of sales managers was $98,530. The lowest 10% earned less than $49,960, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of sales managers is expected to grow 12% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of advertising and promotions managers was $83,890. The lowest 10% earned less than $41,480, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of advertising and promotions managers is expected to grow 13% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage for marketing managers was $112,800. The lowest 10% earned less than $57,750, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of marketing managers is expected to grow 14% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of market research analysts was $60,570. The lowest 10% earned less than $33,350, and the top 10% earned more than $111,440. The employment of market research analysts is expected to grow 41% from 2010 to 2020.
With companies battling for the best salespeople, government analysts expect the demand for skilled, experienced sales and marketing managers to grow faster than the average for all other jobs in the next decade. Specializing in niche fields can help a sales and marketing manager earn even more money.
Sales Management and Marketing Programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Sales
- BS in Business Administration - Marketing
- MBA - Marketing
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Marketing
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Marketing
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- BA/Public Relations and Marketing
- BA/Sports and Recreation Management - Marketing
- MBA - Marketing
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Business Development
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
- BS Marketing
- BS Business Studies in Marketing
- BS Marketing - Social Media Marketing
- And more...
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Science in Business - Marketing
- Bachelor of Science in Marketing
- Master of Business Administration - Marketing
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Marketing - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Marketing - D.B.A.
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- Transformational Leadership (EDD)
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Innovation & Entrepreneurship, Master of Science (Online)