This article looks at some facts about Six Sigma Training and the process of process of training “Belts” as well as the role of Six Sigma in business management. Six Sigma certification training is the process of implementing a disciplined plan to improve the level of error free output units for a corporation. The process was originally used by Motorola, beginning in 1986. In the two decades that followed its implementation within Motorola, the company claims to have over saved more than $17 billion. The process started within Motorola was imitated by many of the Fortune 500 companies. Other early participants include Honeywell and General Electric. The companies that participate in Sigma projects claim to have saved billions of dollars. The projects are very good at streamlining processes and methods, but may not be as useful at encouraging creativity. The certification seminars are offered online, on site or at training locations around the globe.
Six Sigma Education and Training
Training sessions are offered in many communities in the United States and around the world. The process of training “Belts” is set out clearly and specifically. The philosophy consists of creating leadership skills who then assist others in completing projects for the betterment of the organization.
The implementation follows the steps of Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve and Control. Green Belt and Black Belt training programs are offered together in some locations and require two weeks of dedicated interaction to complete.
The process of Six Sigma is being used successfully in a wide range of businesses and organizations. These include health care, research, government, nonprofit, service and manufacturing. The core concept of the program is the completion of projects sponsored by the organization leadership. In order to be certified under the standards of 6 Sigma a project must be completed. Training can be offered in face-to-face seminars and online courses.
Careers with Six Sigma Training
The basic tenets of Six Sigma state that achieving predictable and stable processes are critical to achieve success in business. The variation in processes is to be reduced to a level of less than 3.4 errors per million. Further, Six Sigma philosophy states that characteristics of businesses and manufacturers can be analyzed, measured, controlled and improved.
In order to achieve these 99.99996 percent level of perfection, the entire organization must be involved and committed. There are unique features make 6 Sigma different from previous leadership and business management programs. Every project must include the goal of quantifiable and measurable financial returns.
Focused and strong management, support and leadership are emphasized. There is an organizational infrastructure that recognizes the various levels of participation.
The names given to the levels of leadership are Champions, Master Black Belts, Black Belts, Green Belts and in some instances, a Yellow Belt. Finally, a commitment to basing decisions on real data, rather than on guesswork and assumptions.
The Sigma process works best in large organizations, since there are more opportunities to define projects. Further, refinements and the ability to achieve savings are more likely when there is a larger group of potential employees and processes involved. The Sigma process is more than just training though, it also needs actual projects in order to be certified.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Six Sigma training has been implemented by more than 1000 businesses and organizations. The costs for training are kept low by working in local venues rather than at large corporate headquarters. By combining training for Black and Green Belts, it helps to keep the projects moving. Data shows that in the United States and Canada, employees with certification in Six Sigma usually earn a slightly higher income that non-Six Sigma employees in the same industry.
In the United States, the average salary for a Six Sigma Black Belt in 2007 was $81,500. On the low end the income was $64,000 while the high end of the spectrum was $98,000. As of 2012, the median expected salary for a Six Sigma Black Belt in the United States is $87,677. These levels of income levels vary depending on factors that include the particular industry, the Six Sigma training certification levels, skills, and years of professional experience.
Six Sigma and Related Programs
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- BA/Project Management
- BA/Public Relations and Marketing - Project Management
- MA/Organizational Management - Project Management
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Project Management
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Doctor of Management - Project Management (Executive Format)
- Master of Science in Management - Project Management
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Project Management
- Master - Project Management
- Undergraduate Certificate - Project Management
- Your Accredited Degree from a TOP College Awaits! - Education Connection
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Affordable and Flexible Business Degree Programs from Top Colleges Across the Nation. Both Online And Campus!
- Just Fill Out a Few Questions and You Can Find Your Perfect Business Degree Program Within Minutes.
- Start Using our Fast, Free, and Easy Matching Service Right HERE and Right NOW!
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
Get a hands-on education at Lincoln Tech. Designed for today’s tough job market, our in-depth programs cover many fields including: Health Sciences, Business and Information Technology, Hospitality, Automotive Technology, HVAC Technology and Electrical Systems Technology. Financial Aid is available for those who qualify. Programs vary by campus.
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.