This article takes a look at keeping the sports world active with sports psychology degrees. There are many areas of expertise that have numerous unfilled job openings. Holding sports psychology degrees will open up a number of great opportunities that should not be missed out on. Those who need to open up some more options will surely be able to find an accredited school that will give them everything that they need. Sports psychology deals quite a bit with issues such as motivation, handling game loses, group dynamics, group responsibility, and the role of sports in our personal lives. This makes it a unique area of study in that one takes on responsibility beyond oneself especially in team sports.
Sports Psychology Education and Training
A bachelor’s degree is a must in order to start working within the sports psychology field. Through a four-year educational program at a reputable university, students will gain the training and the skills that they need to work in the field in various circumstances.
There is extra training available for those who qualify such as internships. Having the best grades in the class will help a student get up to the top of the internship list. This is where the hands-on skills come and students will have the ability to meet with professional sports psychologists and get an inside look into what they will be doing on a daily basis. Courses may include:
- Mental Training
- Applied Sport Psychophysiology
- Motor Learning
- Exercise Physiology
- Human Movement Science
Right now there is no better time to start looking into sports psychology degrees than today. So many colleges are accepting applications that will help any student get exactly what they need. After the degree program has been completed, the individual should be able to get the job that they desire soon.
It is important to keep in mind that psychologists need a master’s, specialist, or doctoral degree in psychology, and practicing psychologists must also hold licensure or certification Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
Sports Psychology Careers
Many of the people that hold these degrees will work in classrooms and teach other students the basics of sports psychology. However, the classroom is not the only place to work with this type of degree. Working with professional athletes is also a great job outlet. Be sure to study as hard as possible when in college in order to get the very best pick for the job.
The idea behind the sports psychology degree is to help athletes perform a lot better. This is a great way to help athletes clear their minds and get back in the game without any issues. Responsibilities may include:
- Working with athletes and sports teams to prepare them psychologically for competition
- Working with athletes to help them manage with the psychological effects and stress of competition
- Educating coaches on best practices to enhance the athlete’s psychological state
- Researching the effects of sport participation on athletes
- Teaching at colleges and universities with sports psychology programs
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
As for the amount of money that a professional can make, it all depends on skills and experience. The longer that an individual works within the field, the higher their pay is going to be. Many will start out making about $40,000 and will be able to work just about anywhere that they way.
As per the United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) the median annual wage of psychologists was $68,640 in 2010 and the employment of psychologists is expected to grow 22% between 2010 and 2020.
The job growth rates stagger from year to year but many health facilities are being opened as well as private practices that will all require the use of a sports psychologist. Be sure to use the top tools in order to watch out for these jobs so that they are not taken right away. Many of these resources also point out what skills are required of sports psychology degrees graduates.
Sports Psychology Programs
- Choose from over 200 online undergraduate and graduate programs designed to take you where you want to go.
- Online tuition rates at SNHU are frozen at 2012 levels for the fifth consecutive year.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- Psychology, Counseling and Mental Health Certificate
- Psychology, Counseling and Mental Health Associate's Degree
- Psychology, Counseling and Mental Health Bachelor's Degree
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- BS in Psychology - Industrial/Organizational Psychology
- MS in Psychology - Applied Behavior Analysis Specialization
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Science in General Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Psychology
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Psychology with an Emphasis in Forensic Psychology
- M.S. Psychology with an Emphasis in Geropsychology
- M.S. in Psychology: General Psychology
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Consumer Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology - Organizational Behavior
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Human Resource Management
Join the community of thought leaders at University of the Rockies. Pursue your graduate degree from the University’s School of Professional Psychology or School of Organizational Leadership.
- Doctor of Psychology, Sports and Performance Psychology
- MA in Psychology, Sport and Performance Psychology Specialization
- MA in Psychology, General Psychology
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
- Associate of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Applied Psychology/Clinical Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4,285 students at campuses across the country (Chicago, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C.) and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years. TCSPP offers more than 20 degree programs and a wealth of opportunities for international experiences.
- M.S. Applied Behavior Analysis
- Ph.D. Business Psychology, Consulting Track
- Ph.D. International Psychology
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Mental Health Policy and Practice - Doctor of Philosophy in Psychology
- Psychology - BA
- General Psychology - PhD of Psychology