This article looks at the requirements for supply chain management degree and what you can expect to learn with a supply chain management major. Supply chain managers must understand and be able to work within existing space and technology factors to improve and streamline the supply chain. Supply chain management degrees are one sub-specialty of a degree program such as masters of business administration. Individuals who work in this type of management are in charge of defining, working and managing the parts of a business or organization so that efficiency is maximized. All areas and activities that relate to finding, buying, converting and transporting materials are included within the scope of duties for the manager. The importance of this function as been noted since 1980 as a result of studies and writings related to efficiency in manufacturing and business operations. This has made the role of supply chain management schools important to the field of logistics and contract management as well.
Supply Chain Management Education and Training
A bachelor’s degree is expected, but a master’s degree is more likely to result in employment opportunities. In addition, this group of managers usually have extensive experience in the type of industry in which they work and many choose to work toward supply chain certification.
Supply chain management courses may include accounting, logistics management, procurement management, quality assurance, and contract management.
In addition to supply chain management training, a degree in engineering, economics, business or one of the applied sciences is recommended for those wanting to become entry level workers in the field. These may be purchasing clerks, inventory managers or others who learn to work with suppliers and others in the chain. Courses may include:
- Marketing management
- Project management
- Business communications
- Transportation and distribution
- International business law
- Export/import management
In order to fill management level positions, a graduate degree with a business focus is usually expected. In order to advance, the management trainee must be able to obtain certification. The credentials are offered through the Association for Operations Management.
Supply Chain Management Careers
Many of the active aspects to a manager in the supply chain are intended to enhance the ability to compete in the marketplace. This might be done by improving the quality of the products, managing inventory levels, reducing costs for distribution and production, reducing the time from production to sale and improving relationships with suppliers and partners. Some positions might include:
- Supply chain management analyst
- Performance improvement manager
- Supply chain technical analyst
- Purchasing manager
Supply chain management techniques affect raw materials and finished products. It can be affected by transportation and storage costs. Even the costs of the work in process inventory affect the costs of the finished product. A key feature of reducing costs for products is implementing just-in-time inventory. This process relies on a constant stream of raw materials coming in to be used in the manufacturing process at exactly the right time when they are needed.
While purchasing managers perform many of the functions of a supply chain officer, there are additional administrative functions required. Purchasing managers are expected to have experience within the industry for which they are working. The expected growth of these positions during the next decade is projected to be at about the same level as average for all positions.
Because training periods within the industry are important and can last for several years, there are not many openings filled from recent graduates.
The need to use computers and computer software is important. Other qualities include analysis of technical data, good communication skills, the ability to negotiate and knowledge of management styles and techniques. The manager also needs mathematical skills and the ability to perform analyses of a financial nature.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
A graduate with a supply chain management degree is likely to earn median annual wages of just over $89,000. There will be some variation in median wages based upon the industry and upon the employer as well as the particular supply chain management degree program focus. Supply chain managers are used in retail sales, manufacturing processes and in governmental and health fields.
The median annual wage of purchasing managers, buyers, and purchasing agents was $58,360 in 2010, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). The lowest 10% earned less than $34,110, and the top 10% earned more than $105,610. The employment of these professions is expected to increase 7% from 2010 to 2020.
The median annual wage of logisticians was $70,800 during the same period. The lowest 10% earned less than $43,530, and the top 10% earned more than $108,080. The employment of logisticians is expected to grow 26% from 2010 to 2020.
Supply Chain Management Programs
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- BS in Business Administration - Supply Chain Management and Logistics
- BS in Business Administration - Project Management
- MBA - Project Management
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration Logistics
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Master of Business Administration Operations and Supply Chain Management
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- MBA - Operations Management
- MBA - Project Management
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Project Management
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Bachelor of Business Administration Logistics and Supply Chain Management Concentration
- Master of Business Administration - Project Management
- Master of Science in Information Management - Project Management
- IMBA - Operations/Supply Chain Mgt
- MBA - Operations/Supply Chain Mgmt
- BS in Operations Management - Project Management
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Business - Logistics Management
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Project Management - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Project Management - BBA
- Project Management - D.B.A.
- And more...
- Music Business, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Master of Business Administration - Servant Management
Concordia University - Portland offers several fully online 14-month Master of Education (M.Ed.) programs and a fully online Doctorate of Education (Ed.D.) program. You'll learn new strategies and techniques for your classroom while expanding your knowledge and skills as an educator.
- Transformational Leadership (EDD)