Obtaining technology management degrees is ideal those who have an information technology background and want to combine that with the business side of the profession. Technology management is a set of management disciplines that allows organizations to manage their technological fundamentals to create competitive advantage and to accomplish their business goals. These degrees are obtained by people who are looking to promote changes within a business that may ultimately lead to higher budgets as well as incomes. Information obtained and used will depend solely on the position. Graduates usually earn an executive certificate, a master in I.T with a concentration in management,or masters in business administration degree (MBA). Graduates then prepare to become the organization’s chief information officer (CIO) or chief technology officer (CTO) with additional professional experience.
Technology Management Training and Education
Some of the classes in technology management degrees that one will be expected to master include but are not limited to, business ethics which will teach an individual the current ethical procedures that are used in today’s workplace.
Another class that one can expect to take is managerial decision making which will teach the student how to take the lead in situations that require an executive decision be made this class will also allow the student to learn how to do this with confidence and ethics. Additional courses may include:
- Database Design and Management Concepts
- Strategic Management
- Change Management
- Organizational Management
- Project Management
- Managing Technologies for Business Strategies
Technology courses are also a large part of obtaining this type of degree hence the term technology management, courses such as elementary statistics, and quantitative methods for business which involves the gathering and studying data then using that data to increase sales, income, or budgets. Project management courses, risk analysis courses, and organizational behavior courses may also be required as part of the degree program.
Technology Management Careers
The skills obtained through the classes are administrative in nature and will teach students how to run a professional business through management skills and technology. Jobs obtained with this type of degree will vary greatly depending on the needs of the individual companies. Almost any small or large business could benefit from having someone with this type of background on their staff. Having this type of degree will give you an added edge over those with just a general business degree.
The great news about this type of qualification is that almost every business out there will need someone of this caliber at some time or another. All businesses need someone to run the program and be a catalyst for integrating technology as well as ethics into a workplace.
You may be wondering where these types of degrees can be used, once this degree is obtained one can apply for any position that deals directly with business or any type due to the demand for people of a higher caliber getting a more advanced degree will of course lead to a higher salary and possibly a better chance of getting a job period.
Some of these companies that are looking for employees with technology management degrees are Lockheed Martin, WalMart, Sony, and even Microsoft. Some positions may require traveling from one location to another to compare data. These travels may also be out of the country. Overall, this degree is a good opportunity for anyone who enjoys managing others and learning along the way and also combining information technology with business management skills.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
The salary will vary because of variety of positions that be obtained with technology management degrees, and the fact that the degree obtained can be anywhere from an associates to a doctorate. Of course the higher the degree acquired the more one can be expected to earn. Most salaries will start anywhere from $25,000 to $30,000 with an associate degree and can be well above six figures with a doctoral degree.
The median annual wage of computer and information systems managers was $115,780 in 2010 (Bureau of Labor Statistics – BLS). The lowest 10% earned less than $71,420, and the top 10% earned more than $166,400. The employment of computer and information systems managers is projected grow 18% between 2010 and 2020.
Technology Management Programs
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with multiple concentrations
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Concentrations help students tailor their education for the career they want
- Master of Business Administration - Technology Management
- Master of Science in Management IT and Project Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - IT
- And more...
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Master of Business Administration, and more.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MBA - Information Technology
- AAS in Business Administration - Information Processing
- BS in Business Administration - Information Systems Management
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, Marketing, and more.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
- MBA - Project Management
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Management of Engineering & Technology - PhD in Bus. Admin.
- Management of Engineering and Technology - D.B.A.
- Management Information Systems - D.B.A.
- And more...
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Information Processing
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Customer Service
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Small Business Management
- And more...
Making the decision to earn your degree and pursue your career goals could be the best decision you ever make. Enroll at ECPI University and you’ll join a collaborative and fostering learning environment, surrounded by faculty and staff who are there to support you through the entire process.
What sets ECPI University apart? Just ask the employers who hire our graduates. Since 1966, more than 3,800 employers have looked to ECPI for talented professionals who are capable of entering the workplace and doing the job right on the very first day. That’s because our curriculum is designed to meet the needs of today’s highly-specialized job market.
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- IT Management - Bachelor's
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Business Administration - Associate of Occupational Science
- Master of Business Administration
- Associate of Arts in Business - Agribusiness
- Sports Marketing and Media, Bachelor of Science