A theology degree are ideal for those who believe they have a calling to enter the field. They dedicate their lives to helping people cope life and its ups and downs. While a career in theology is not for everyone, those who enter it find it to be a rewarding, fulfilling experience. If helping others find happiness brings you joy, that is a reward in itself. After you determine that is the career for you, will keep in mind that religious leaders have a fairly large responsibility in leading others both spiritually and morally. If you have an innate desire to help others, and provide them with guidance and encouragement, and provide them with spiritual and moral development, divinity studies is an area that offers you that option. A divinity degree will prepare you both mentally and in the curriculum. An online biblical studies degree will prepare all kinds of religious workers including pastors, rabbis, spiritual guides, religious educators, as the basis for their life work or calling.
Theology and Divinity Education and Training
A degree in religion can lead to a number of different career paths for example as a pastor or other ministry workers. A degree in religion or divinity is also be a starting point for graduate school in other areas for example medicine, law, and philosophy.
Most organized religions require a high school diploma, while others require a bachelor’s or master’s degree, plus extra seminary training depending on the level of entry into the academic program of study. Courses may include:
- Pastoral Counseling
- Intercultural Communication
- Conflict Resolution
- Leadership Skills
- Philosophy for Theology
- Historical Development of the Church
- Moral Theology
Theology and Divinity Careers
With a theology degree, you could work as a minister or member of the clergy where your role would be to work as a religious and spiritual leader. This would require you to be a teacher and interpreter of the scriptures, and to organize and lead religious services. You can work at a university as a religion professor or researcher, which generally requires a PhD in religion fields.
Although a degree is not usually required, most ministers, chaplains and theology professors have at least completed at least a Bachelor’s degree in theology. Many have Master’s theology degrees. Both traditional and online theology degrees are acceptable.
You would also be responsible to officiate at special ceremonies such as religious holidays like Easter and Christmas, confirmations, weddings, and funerals. You would also lead worshipers in prayer, administering sacraments, deliver sermons and homilies.
Ministers and clergy also visit the sick or bereaved to provide comfort, and counsel those seeking religious or moral guidance or who are troubled by personal problems. As a spiritual leader it is pertinent to be confident, motivated, and tolerant.
You must also be able to make tough decisions, work well under pressure, and uphold moral standards. Religious leaders also take on additional responsibilities like counseling, including family and marriage counseling and therapy, and drug and substance abuse counseling.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
Because divinity salaries depend on congregation duties, size of the church and congregation, denomination etc, the salary range so many factors, the average salary is about $35,000 a year. with a campus or online theology degree. Some churches and denominations pay for some or all of the living expenses of their clergy.
The United States Department of Labor projects that the theology profession will grow as fast as other occupations in the next decade. Most theologians are in the profession because of a higher calling and do not generally retire early. On the other hand, this is one area that has job security.
Religious Studies Programs
- Bachelor degree programs include English, Education, Mathematics, Theatre, Biophysical Sciences, Christian Ministry, and more.
- Ranked among the Best Online Graduate Education Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Regent’s School of Education has yielded a 95% pass rate on the School Leadership Licensure Assessment.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Laws - Human Rights
- Bachelor of Arts in Law and National Security
- Master of Arts in Pastoral Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- BS in Liberal Studies Leadership
- BS in Liberal Studies
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
See What’s Possible When You Earn a Degree at Florida Tech 100% Online
Whatever your motivation for considering an undergraduate or graduate degree, Florida Tech offers programs online that can meet your needs. Here are a few reasons Florida Tech may be the right choice for you.
Founded in 1766, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading national public research university and the state’s preeminent, comprehensive public institution of higher learning.
Home to more than 58,000 students from all 50 states and 125 different countries, Rutgers’ mission is to prepare students to become productive members of society and good citizens of the world. That’s made possible by a faculty and staff of over 13,000 members, which includes an Abel Prize winner, Guggenheim Fellows, MacArthur “Genius Award” Fellows, Pulitzer Prize winners, and many more.
The MSW@USC is the first top-ranked MSW program offered nationally. Many online programs are limited to certain geographic areas or the availability of courses, making it necessary to travel to campus. Our program can be completed from virtually anywhere without the need to relocate to Southern California.
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- Are you ready to advance or start your career inspiring minds and changing lives? Apply to join GCU's prestigious teaching community.
- GCU recognizes the diverse needs in education and creates meaningful experiences through all bachelor's and master's degree programs.
- Traditional college or online programs, GCU offers education degrees for a variety of learning needs – take your pick!
- Earn your master's or bachelor's degree online, on-campus or take individual courses for specific studies.
- Join the GCU heritage and take advantage of the opportunity to engage, instruct and inspire.