Get a tourism degree and become an expert in exotic locations and planning the best holidays and vacations. Work toward a travel and tourism career in with a tourism management degree. When people have more discretionary income the travel and tourism industry also thrives. People want to explore exotic places, cruises, and resorts. Travel agents schedule vacations, honeymoons, and romantic getaways and this is where you come in with a degree in tourism management. The fastest growing market segments is in catering, hotel and restaurant management, fast food, travel agencies, resorts, spas, airlines, cruise ships, casinos, camps, theme parks, and private clubs.
Tourism Management Education and Training
Most entry-level positions in the travel and tourism industry can be filled with an associate tourism degree but to be able to advance your career, completing a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree is advantageous. Courses include:
- Air Fares and Ticketing
- Starting your own travel agency
- Using computerized reservation systems
- Guiding clients to the best tourist destinations
- Choosing and developing vacation packages
- Geography in Travel Planning
- Private Charters
- Support Services
- Travel Law and Regulation
- Selling Skills
For advanced studies, you can work toward a tourism MBA, or a tourism masters where you would likely be taking advanced courses in hospitality management, business management as well as liberal arts and social science.
Tourism and Travel Careers
A tourism degree or a degree in hospitality and tourism management can lead to a career as a tours and travel manager or operator, hotel manager, restaurant manager, recreational manager or hotel manager. There are many opportunities available within the tourism and travel industry, on both administrative and management levels.
A travel and tourism management degree prepares students to work in this hospitality industry by providing them with the skills and experience necessary to work in a variety of travel related industries, including managing hotels, entertainment centers, casinos, cultural organizations, and tours and travel agencies.
The travel and tourism management program prepares students to manage travel-related enterprises and convention, and tour services. This includes travel agency management, tour arranging and planning, convention and event planning, travel industry operations and procedures, tourism marketing and promotion, travel advise and counseling, travel laws, international and domestic travel, and travel and tourism policy.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
In the travel and tourism industry you can earn between $22,000 and $40,000 depending on your specialization with an online tourism degree. In many jobs, you also earn tips, bonuses, and commission raising your income even higher. In some areas you can earn between $13,000 and $54,000 a year. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that the employment of recreation workers is projected to increase by 15% between 2008 and 2018.
In addition to your financial earnings, you also get many perks as related to your area example free or reduced rates for hotel stays, airline workers receive free or discounted tickets, and free trips, and travel agents often receive free trips for booking trips. The demand for travel and tourism such as travel agents and flight attendants may decrease while in some areas hotel and restaurant management this is expected to increase.
Tourism Management Programs
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Culinary Management (BS)
- Gives students the opportunity to earn their associate’s degree in the culinary arts field in less than 15 months
- Located in Norfolk and Newport News, Virginia.
- Offers externship experiences to students for experience in the field.
- Hosts regular career fairs for employer recruitment.
- Has student housing available.
- Food Service Management
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Hospitality Management
- Master of Business Administration
- AAS in Business Administration
- And more...
- Online degrees offered include BA in Accounting, BA in Business Administration, MBA, and more.
- Business students may be eligible for scholarships such as the Entrepreneurship Scholarship.
- Courses help students develop knowledge of marketing, accounting, economic principles, and financial management.
- Business Administration students can specialize in areas such as Entrepreneurship, Finance, and Project Management.
- BA/Service Management - Restaurant Enterprise Management
- BA/Service Management - Hospitality Enterprise
- BA/Business Administration - No Concentration
- And more...
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General
- Doctor of Business Administration
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Business
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
Everest University Online, a Division of Everest University, makes career training convenient and accessible. With courses tailored for working students and others who need a more flexible class schedule.
- Business (Associate's)
- MBA with concentration in Quantitative Analysis
- BS Business Admin - Human Resource Management
- BS Business Admin - Organizational Leadership
- And more...