Get a tourism degree and become an expert in exotic locations and planning the best holidays and vacations. Work toward a travel and tourism career in with a tourism management degree. When people have more discretionary income the travel and tourism industry also thrives. People want to explore exotic places, cruises, and resorts. Travel agents schedule vacations, honeymoons, and romantic getaways and this is where you come in with a degree in tourism management. The fastest growing market segments is in catering, hotel and restaurant management, fast food, travel agencies, resorts, spas, airlines, cruise ships, casinos, camps, theme parks, and private clubs.
Tourism Management Education and Training
Most entry-level positions in the travel and tourism industry can be filled with an associate tourism degree but to be able to advance your career, completing a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree is advantageous. Courses include:
- Air Fares and Ticketing
- Starting your own travel agency
- Using computerized reservation systems
- Guiding clients to the best tourist destinations
- Choosing and developing vacation packages
- Geography in Travel Planning
- Private Charters
- Support Services
- Travel Law and Regulation
- Selling Skills
For advanced studies, you can work toward a tourism MBA, or a tourism masters where you would likely be taking advanced courses in hospitality management, business management as well as liberal arts and social science.
Tourism and Travel Careers
A tourism degree or a degree in hospitality and tourism management can lead to a career as a tours and travel manager or operator, hotel manager, restaurant manager, recreational manager or hotel manager. There are many opportunities available within the tourism and travel industry, on both administrative and management levels.
A travel and tourism management degree prepares students to work in this hospitality industry by providing them with the skills and experience necessary to work in a variety of travel related industries, including managing hotels, entertainment centers, casinos, cultural organizations, and tours and travel agencies.
The travel and tourism management program prepares students to manage travel-related enterprises and convention, and tour services. This includes travel agency management, tour arranging and planning, convention and event planning, travel industry operations and procedures, tourism marketing and promotion, travel advise and counseling, travel laws, international and domestic travel, and travel and tourism policy.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
In the travel and tourism industry you can earn between $22,000 and $40,000 depending on your specialization with an online tourism degree. In many jobs, you also earn tips, bonuses, and commission raising your income even higher. In some areas you can earn between $13,000 and $54,000 a year. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that the employment of recreation workers is projected to increase by 15% between 2008 and 2018.
In addition to your financial earnings, you also get many perks as related to your area example free or reduced rates for hotel stays, airline workers receive free or discounted tickets, and free trips, and travel agents often receive free trips for booking trips. The demand for travel and tourism such as travel agents and flight attendants may decrease while in some areas hotel and restaurant management this is expected to increase.
Tourism Management Programs
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Culinary Arts Management (BS)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Hospitality Management
- Master of Business Administration
- AAS in Business Administration
- And more...
- Choose from over 200 online undergraduate and graduate programs designed to take you where you want to go.
- Online tuition rates at SNHU are frozen at 2012 levels for the fifth consecutive year.
- Online education with SNHU means 24/7 access. Multiple term starts per year mean you’ll finish your degree faster.
- MBA - Economics
- MBA with concentration in Forensic Accounting
- Business Certificate
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Business Administration - Servant Management
- Bachelor of Science in Business
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
- And more...
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General
- Doctor of Business Administration
- And more...
- Become an accountant, credit analyst, auditor, tax examiner, and more with an undergraduate degree in accounting.
- Learn about accounting fundamentals, legal compliance and ethics, finance, marketing, leadership, economics, and quantitative decision making.
- Work in the environment that suits you best. The B.S. in Accounting program prepares students for accounting careers in private, public, not-for-profit, and government organizations.
- This program, along with other CSU-Global business degrees, is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Each of our courses is 100% online, with no fixed class times or locations. All you need is an internet connection. Wherever you are, you’re already on campus.
- Our programs are built for working adults. You complete coursework on your schedule, in your own time. Complete assignments and projects when it’s most convenient for you.
- BS - Marketing
- Specialized bachelor’s and master’s degrees that let you take more courses devoted to your field of interest, on average, than at other similar schools.
- 4 out of 5 employers of an AIU business graduate say they would hire another AIU business graduate
- Classes taught by industry specialists who bring a real-world perspective to the classroom
- Business administration programs are accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) with the exception of Technology Management and Fashion Marketing specializations
- MBA degrees can be completed in as little as 12 months
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
- Gives students the opportunity to earn their associate’s degree in the culinary arts field in less than 15 months
- Located in Norfolk and Newport News, Virginia.
- Offers externship experiences to students for experience in the field.
- Hosts regular career fairs for employer recruitment.
- Has student housing available.
- Food Service Management
- Campus-based and online business programs include Entertainment Business (BS), Internet Marketing (BS), and Business Intelligence (MS)
- Students will explore business concepts like marketing, global media management, and business technology and design
- Courses designed to prepare students for a career in business and Career Development advisors available to all alumni
- Full Sail offers accelerated programs, so a degree that would normally take four years takes 24 months on average
- Music Business, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Entertainment Business, Master of Science (Online)
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Psychology: Industrial & Organizational Psychology
- B.S. in Business Administration
- And more...