Get a tourism degree and become an expert in exotic locations and planning the best holidays and vacations. Work toward a travel and tourism career in with a tourism management degree. When people have more discretionary income the travel and tourism industry also thrives. People want to explore exotic places, cruises, and resorts. Travel agents schedule vacations, honeymoons, and romantic getaways and this is where you come in with a degree in tourism management. The fastest growing market segments is in catering, hotel and restaurant management, fast food, travel agencies, resorts, spas, airlines, cruise ships, casinos, camps, theme parks, and private clubs.
Tourism Management Education and Training
Most entry-level positions in the travel and tourism industry can be filled with an associate tourism degree but to be able to advance your career, completing a bachelor’s degree or master’s degree is advantageous. Courses include:
- Air Fares and Ticketing
- Starting your own travel agency
- Using computerized reservation systems
- Guiding clients to the best tourist destinations
- Choosing and developing vacation packages
- Geography in Travel Planning
- Private Charters
- Support Services
- Travel Law and Regulation
- Selling Skills
For advanced studies, you can work toward a tourism MBA, or a tourism masters where you would likely be taking advanced courses in hospitality management, business management as well as liberal arts and social science.
Tourism and Travel Careers
A tourism degree or a degree in hospitality and tourism management can lead to a career as a tours and travel manager or operator, hotel manager, restaurant manager, recreational manager or hotel manager. There are many opportunities available within the tourism and travel industry, on both administrative and management levels.
A travel and tourism management degree prepares students to work in this hospitality industry by providing them with the skills and experience necessary to work in a variety of travel related industries, including managing hotels, entertainment centers, casinos, cultural organizations, and tours and travel agencies.
The travel and tourism management program prepares students to manage travel-related enterprises and convention, and tour services. This includes travel agency management, tour arranging and planning, convention and event planning, travel industry operations and procedures, tourism marketing and promotion, travel advise and counseling, travel laws, international and domestic travel, and travel and tourism policy.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
In the travel and tourism industry you can earn between $22,000 and $40,000 depending on your specialization with an online tourism degree. In many jobs, you also earn tips, bonuses, and commission raising your income even higher. In some areas you can earn between $13,000 and $54,000 a year. The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) reports that the employment of recreation workers is projected to increase by 15% between 2008 and 2018.
In addition to your financial earnings, you also get many perks as related to your area example free or reduced rates for hotel stays, airline workers receive free or discounted tickets, and free trips, and travel agents often receive free trips for booking trips. The demand for travel and tourism such as travel agents and flight attendants may decrease while in some areas hotel and restaurant management this is expected to increase.
Tourism Management Programs
- Program areas include Culinary Arts, Culinary Management, and more
- Students are taught cooking styles from around the globe, including Classical European, Asian, and Latin cuisine
- Curriculum designed to prepare students for a career as a chef, with course topics that include Culinary Techniques, Management by Menu, and Nutrition
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef
- Culinary Management (BS)
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- AAS in Business Administration - Hospitality Management
- Master of Business Administration
- AAS in Business Administration
- And more...
- Available business concentrations include Accounting, Economics, General Management, Marketing, and Human Resource Management.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA and Online Graduate Business Programs in 2016 by U.S. News & World Report.
- Programmatic accreditation provided by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Business
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Business Administration - Bachelor's
- Gives students the opportunity to earn their associate’s degree in the culinary arts field in less than 15 months
- Located in Norfolk and Newport News, Virginia.
- Offers externship experiences to students for experience in the field.
- Hosts regular career fairs for employer recruitment.
- Has student housing available.
- Food Service Management
- Offers M.B.A. and bachelor’s programs in Business Administration with concentrations in Marketing, Accounting, and more
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs and Graduate Business Programs for 2017 by U.S. News and World Report
- Coursework covers topics like project management, management fundamentals, and business strategies
- Business students complete a capstone class that demonstrates their knowledge of business concepts
- Master of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - General
- Doctor of Business Administration
- And more...
- Recognized in the first Best for Vets: Business Schools list in Military Times Edge magazine’s 2013 “Best for Vets” edition.
- Offers MUSE (My Unique Student Experience), a content delivery system that gives students the option to watch, view, read or listen to required course materials.
- Allows students to complete courses at whatever pace they want.
- A DANTES-affiliated university and member of the Service Members Opportunity Colleges.
- Offers IntelliPath, a proprietary learning technology that lets students learn at their own pace.
- Bachelor's (BBA) - Management
- MBA - Management
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Hospitality Management
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Health Club Operations
- Associate of Applied Science in Business Administration : Customer Service
- And more...
Earn your graduate degree online with Northcentral University. We offer online programs focused on doctoral and master’s degrees in the schools of business and technology management, education, psychology and marriage and family sciences.
- General Business - D.B.A.
- MBA - Building Creativity
- MBA - Strategic Management
- And more...
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Business Administration - Associate of Occupational Science