How do you choose training management software for your organization? You have been requested by the your employer to give your opinion on whether your company should purchase or develop a training management platform from scratch. How would you develop your argument in each case, for or against building or purchasing the new training software? Learning Management Systems (LMS) or Learning Content Management Systems (LCMS) are a good way to organize your training and educational needs. Previously used terms include Content Management Systems (CMS) but that has since evolved to more fitting terms like LMS. Whether in a higher education or corporate learning environment, these tools have earned their place in the education process as a way of providing flexibility and diversity in teaching and learning options available to students, instructors, instructional designers and other stake holders. It is however important to keep in mind that while the tools continue to evolve, the founding principles of instruction and learning should always ground the learning process.
Tips For Acquiring Training Management Software
Considering buying verses Building Learning Management Systems (LMS) or Learning Content Management System (LCMS)? There are some specific issues for you to consider when deciding on if you should purchase or design your own educational software because e-learning resources should meet specific requirements to include flexibility, performance, and connectivity. The platform should also be efficient and effective.
Homegrown training management software can be appealing because it is tailor-made to for your specific needs. But is it saving or costing you money and effort? To minimize this cost, you would need to identify and detail every feature that would be needed, as well as pinpoint who in the organization will need to have access to the resource. Be sure to outline data and reporting requirements during the implementation and product evaluation process during the development process. Also think about data quality. If you plan to offer e-learning courseware, you need to be sure that it tracks the data you need and in the manner that you want.
If you opt to buy training management software, make sure that available features (custom-built or otherwise) are developed in advance. Don’t assume that the system has built-in features that will suit your all needs. In fact, it is a tricky to assume that all the data you need will be collected by the system unless you investigate its options in-depth. Think about the following questions prior to building or buying the e-learning software:
Try and respond to the following questions as you make your decision? What database outputs will be most important? How will you approach usability testing? What levels of access are important to the different users? How will trouble shooting and debugging be done? What are the important user interface features to have?
Because each of these questions typically has a different answer for each organization, a team should work together to come up with an air-tight plan for the best training management software. Testing should also be conducted throughout the process and piloted on a small scale before being distributed to the entire organization.
Sometimes it turns out that homegrown products are more expensive either to build or maintain. There is also a possibility that the people who build the systems are no longer with the organization and the technical support is thus interrupted. Because of these issues, companies end up looking for off-the-shelf product, with standard support, training, and continuous upgrades and improvements that they can buy rather than build themselves.
One disadvantage of pre-existing software is that it may not always meet your particular training and educational needs. Technical support can be expensive and not readily available when needed. The support features that include licensing and copyright requirements and software updates should be part of the project management teams discussion while the procurement process is ongoing. Whenever it is possible, looking into the customizable, flexible features of off-the-shelf applications is suggested. Most software vendors may have this as an option, so it is a good idea to investigate this further.
Regardless of the option decided upon, it is important to keep in mind that with online training management software for e-learning, there may be additional costs such as training, maintenance, upgrading. At the end of the day, the important thing to determine is the cost-benefit analysis, and of course the value added to the learners, instructors, and teaching and learning process.
Computer Applications Programs
- Named a Best for Vets school by the Military Times in 2014.
- Has specialized in student-centered technology, business, criminal justice, health science, and culinary education for over 45 years.
- Makes it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in 2.5 years or an associate’s in 1.5 years by providing a year-round schedule.
- Offers externships and clinical experience that help students prepare for life after they graduate.
- Has 10 campuses across the mid-Atlantic, plus online degree programs.
- Software Development - Bachelor's
- Web Development - Bachelor's
- Web Development - Associate's
- Flexible, 100% online programs offered include Bachelor of Science in Information Technology, Master of Science in Cybersecurity Management, and more.
- Courses designed to keep students updated on the constantly changing world of information technology.
- Career-focused programs taught by experienced professionals help students develop real-world programming skills.
- AASIT - Programming and Software Development
- BSIT - Programming and Software Development
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology - Software Application Programming
- Bachelor of Science in Information Technology Web Development
- Master of Science in Computer Science Database Systems
- Mobile Development, Bachelor of Science
Centura College, with campus locations in Virginia, South Carolina and Florida, is dedicated to helping students gain the skills and attitudes necessary to succeed. Drawing from over 30 years of career school experience.
- Business Web Development
About Brightwood College
Brightwood College offers accelerated programs that combine flexible schedules and professional instruction to create a rewarding learning experience for individuals focused on gaining the skills for specific careers. Brightwood College is owned and operated by Education Corporation of America.
About Education Corporation of America
Education Corporation of America's institutions broaden access to postsecondary educational opportunities.
- Computer Support Technician
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Bachelor of Arts in Leadership Studies - Information Technology
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- Bachelor's (BIT) - Software Analysis and Development
Grantham University's 100% accredited online degrees are convenient, portable and designed so you can fit education into your life instead of arranging life around your education.
- Master of Science in Information Technology
Virginia College continues the tradition ofgiving lives new direction, fulfilling our mission statement tostudents wherever they live and offering the chance to pursue adegree while maintaining commitments to work and family.
- DIP - Network Technician