This article looks at what to expect with a veterinary technician school and how to start a successful career. There are so many different careers out there to choose from, many have a hard time making the right decision. However, it is easy when the student takes the time to step back and evaluate what they want to for the rest of their life. As a veterinary technician, students will have the ability to work with a variety of critters and creatures that will need a little bit of help from time to time. Get ready and be sure to look up the right veterinary technician school that can jump start the career. This of course is going to be taught by the veterinary technician school that has been chosen. The school should be able to prepare the student for just about anything that could come in from day to day.
Veterinary Technician Training and Education
When it comes to education and schooling, most students will get their associates degree within the veterinary field. This is the type of degree that is going to take about two years of schooling as well as some extra training to finally get a license and start practicing. A final exam must be taken in order to ensure that the student is ready to get out there and start working. Veterinary assistant college requirements vary, but some essential courses may include:
- Pharmacy and Pharmacology
- Veterinary Dentistry
- Animal Restraint
- Veterinary and Medical Office Procedures
- Medical Terminology
- Surgical Preparation and Assisting
- Animal Anatomy and Physiology
On the other hand veterinary technologists require a 4-year bachelor’s degree before they can practice. There are other training programs that can be chosen from if a technician wants to go into a specialty. These programs will give students a different level of training that they may have never experienced before. Learning a specific specialty such as animal surgery is going to boost that pay and open up many more doors for the professional to step into and accelerate in.
While online veterinary technician programs my not be commonly available, some schools may offer some courses online for example theory and foundation courses that do not require a lab component. Veterinary technician certification is also a requirement that states would have, before one can practice as a veterinary technician.
The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) also points out that although each state regulates veterinary technologists and technicians differently candidates would mostly likely be required to take a credentialing exam in order to become registered, licensed, or certified, depending on the state one will be practicing in
Veterinary Technician Careers
A veterinary technician is going to work in a number of different environments. The most common today are the veterinary hospitals within neighborhoods across the country. This is where most pet owners take their pets for check ups as well as emergencies. Other technicians might choose to work in other places such as shelters and mobile animal hospitals.
After a few years in the business, there is always a possibility of starting up a business and working as the actual owner and boss. While most of the animals that come in for treatment are going to warm and cuddly, there are also some unusual pets that will need caring for as well. It is very important to understand these animals and know how to handle them at all times.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
A veterinary technician is going to have the advantage of having very nice starting salary. On average, it is possible for a technician to start out making about $30,000 each year. As the job market progresses and the individual receives further training, he or she could end up earning around $50,000 on a yearly basis. Of course this is going to depend on the location and the current city averages.
The median annual wage of veterinary technologists and technicians was $29,710 in 2010, while the employment of veterinary technologists and technicians is expected to grow 52% between 2010 and 2020. This is much faster than the average for all occupations.
As for job growth, the veterinary technician job field is set to see an increase of about 30,000 brand new jobs all across the country. This means that now is one of the best times to get started with a veterinary technician school and get the right certification. Within a year or two the job market is going to see a huge spike and many people will be set up with the jobs that they need as well as want.
Veterinary Assistant Programs
- Veterinary Technology Alternate Route - Certificate
- Veterinary Technology - Associates
- Flexible, online RN-BSN and MSN programs available
- RN-BSN program is designed to help registered nurses earn their bachelor’s in as little as 9 months
- Courses designed to expand on student’s prior knowledge and enhance their patient care skills
- Master of Science in Nursing - Nursing Administration
- Degrees offered include Bachelor of Science in Accounting, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, and Master of Business Administration.
- Students are instructed in relevant business skills like communication, mathematics, and management.
- Coursework emphasizes the development of project management, communication, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
- Flexible, 100% online and campus based programs available.
- MS in Management - Health Care Management
- MBA - Health Care Management
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- Doctor of Nursing Practice with an Emphasis in Educational Leadership
- Recognized as a Top 20 Best Online Bachelor’s Program by U.S. News & World Report in 2016.
- Online, campus-based, and evening courses offered in 95 areas of study, including Business, Nursing, Psychology, & more.
- Endorsed by G.I. Jobs and Military Advanced Education magazine as a Military Friendly School in 2015.
- Features small class sizes, with a student-to-faculty ratio of 23 to 1.
- 88% of Regent University students receive financial aid, with $18 million awarded in institutional scholarships & aid each year.
- Master of Public Administration in Healthcare Policy & Ethics
At Kaplan University, we offer over 180 degree and certificate programs. With three different ways to learn, you can choose the format that works best for you:
- Study wherever you have an Internet connection, because almost all of our courses are 100% online, or
- Take campus-based classes(with day and evening options available), or
- Combine campus learning with online classes (blended).
- MS in Nursing
- Master of Science in Nursing : Executive Leader
- Family Nurse Practitioner Graduate Certificate
- And more...
For over 35 years, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Master of Science in Nursing
Experience the Rewards of Caring, With ECPI’s Medical Careers Institute, you can Earn Your Bachelor’s Degree in 2.5 Years or Your Associate’s Even Sooner through Our Year-Round Schedule!
- Nursing (RN-BSN) - Bachelor's
You’re serious about success. With your busy schedule and the desire to move your career forward, you can earn an accredited associate, bachelors or master’s degree at a pace that works for you anywhere, anytime, 24/7.
At AIU, the Serious U, you can get started to get ahead.
- MBA - Healthcare Management
Miller-Motte Technical College (MMTC) has a history of helping students succeed through hands-on education and career training. Our faculty and staff work to ensure that when you've completed your program, you're truly ready to begin your career.
- Medical Assisting - Associate of Occupational Science