What do visual communications degrees offer? What is visual communications? Visual communications deals with message design presented in a visual format. There are a lot of students today that go about their studies trying to make sure that in the end, they can get recognized for their efforts, and actually get awarded some of the best jobs in the world today. As a matter of fact, a lot of people are undertaking visual communications degree programs in the world today, so that they can take advantage of the opportunities that are availed by this study area. The industry itself is in the vital stages of transformation, and as a result, there are a lot of students that actually do wish to be part of this versatile industry. Visual communications degrees lead to a variety of careers in public relations, advertising, advertising design, journalism, graphic design, and media communications.
Visual Communications Education and Training
Visual communications classes include: drawing, illustration, and typographical elements. Other visual communications courses that students take may include English, marketing, journalism courses, as well as public relations and advertising design. Other courses may include:
- Visual Theories, e.g. Dual-coding Theory
- Graphic Arts and Design
- Information Design
- Informational Graphics
As a matter of fact, there are lots of online college programs in Information Technology or Visual Communication that can result in associates, bachelor, and master’s degrees in this particular field. However, in the event that you already have either a design or information technology background, you will be able to find flexible, well known online classes that can help you advance your career.
As long as you can remain disciplined in your studies and manage a degree in information technology, in graphics design, or a combination of both, you will definitely become more like the hot cake of visual communications. In all of the main areas of design, the college and university graduates with qualifications or certifications in animation or design will usually get the best job opportunities.
Visual Communications Careers
After completing visual communications degrees, the students will also have the ability to take internships with advertising agencies, design firms, entertainment studios, or hosting companies that can assist them in building an impressive portfolio and in the process speed up their career development.
As a matter of fact, the students can also apply for and take up full time employment in these organizations too. Graduates with visual communications degrees work in many areas that include: marketing, promotions, public relations, and sales. They work in a team up to help with advertising campaigns. Visual communication specialists work in advertising firms, television commercials, and advertisements published in newspapers, magazines, and on the Web.
Besides, this is a challenging field of study, and the target market is not easier either. The students should therefore be sure that in whatever they do, there will always be some huge demand for their expertise in the job market, so that their companies actually do appreciate their efforts.
Estimated Income and Projected Career Outlook
There are high profile and reputable analysts that have gone on record over the last few years saying that the visual communication school graduates with information technology and communication degrees will become some of the most sought after job candidates throughout the nation, and the world over the next few years.
Entry-level positions pay around $35,000 to $50,000 annually. Advertising manager salaries average around $64,000 annually and many senior level managers earn well over $100,000 a year. The median annual wage of graphic designers was $43,500 in 2010. The lowest 10% earned less than $26,200, while the top 10% earned more than $76,910. The employment of graphic designers is expected to increase by 13% from 2010 to 2020 (Bureau of Labor Statistics – BLS).
The salary scales in the organizations that deal with such expertise and visual communications degrees usually differ, but recent research has shown that there are a lot of companies out there that put a lot of emphasis on this sector, and as a result, they do pay well too.
Visual Communications Programs
- Alumni have appeared in reality competition shows such as Top Chef and Project Runway.
- Dedicated career services team that helps students tap opportunities in a marketplace driven by ideas
- Offers programs in design, media arts, fashion, and culinary
- Program Coordinators focus on improving program content and ensure that students have the resources they need
- Over 50 locations nationwide
- Digital Image Management (C)
- Graphic Design (AS)
- Bachelor’s program options include Communication, Political Communication, Cinema-Television, and more.
- Several concentrations available, including Rhetoric and Public Culture, Strategic Communication, Theatre, Journalism, Internet and Social Media, and more.
- All concentrations are designed to teach students the fundamentals of journalism, helping them prepare for careers as reporters and writers.
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Bachelor of Science in Professional Studies - Communication Studies
- Media Communications, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Graphic Design, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- Computer Animation, Bachelor of Science (Online)
- BA Communication - Professional Writing
- MA Communication - New Media and Marketing
- BA Communications - New Media
- And more...
Kaplan University is focused on recognizing the achievements of military and veteran students and offers the flexibility of an online education. Eligible students can receive college credit for prior military experience and coursework—up to 75 percent of the credit needed for a Kaplan University undergraduate degree.*
- BS in Business Administration - New Media/Internet Marketing
- Online MBA program ranked 6th in the USA by CEO magazine.
- In a university-sponsored survey, 4 out of 5 alumni reported being satisfied with their experience.
- #1 Online School for military veterans according to Military Times.
- 75,000+ graduates across all industries offer extensive networking opportunities.
- My Unique Student Experience (M.U.S.E.) lets students watch, view, read, or hear content.
- Smartphone app available for on-the-go learning.
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration - Business Development
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
- Associates in Internet Marketing